Calculate Change in V_EB and V_CE with Variation in Temp

In summary: The collector current would be significantly higher than the emitter current in that case. In summary, the problem involves a pnp transistor with specified voltages and currents. The temperature is increased by 30 degrees Celsius and the change in emitter and collector voltages is to be determined. However, there is confusion regarding the given values and temperature relationship to be used. The answer provided is -60 mV and 0V, but it may be an ill-formed question. There is also a possibility of a misprint in the book, with the first value of emitter current actually being that of the collector current.
shaiqbashir
Consider a pnp transistor with [tex]{v_{EB}=0.7V[/tex] and [tex]{i_{E}=1mA[/tex]. Let the base be grounded and the emitter be fed by a 2 mA constant current source , and the collector be connected toa -5V supply through a 1-Killoohms resistance. if the temperature increases by 30 degree celsius, find the change in emitter and collector voltages. neglect the effect of [tex]{I_{CBO}[/tex]

Now my dear friends! the problem I am getting here is this that we are given to values for the emitter current. I just can't get how to use both of them to get the right answer. Secondly what temperature relationship should i use. I can tell u the right answers as well

Ans: -60 mV and 0V

please help me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I noticed also that you are given 2 values for emitter current. It sounds like a pointless question to me.

I think the question is also missing relevant information. As I recall the temperature dependence of the current gain is mostly due to the fact the emitter injection efficiency changes with temp. To really figure it out I think you need to know about the doping of the transistor.

From looking at the answer I'll bet you're supposed to apply some random rule of thumb given to you by your instructor because we often use -2mV/C here for envelope calculations. But given the contradicting information in my opinion it's really just an ill formed question.

dont u think that the first value of the emitter current is actually that of the collector current. May be there is some misprinting in the book. If yes then what are ur ideas
?

shaiqbashir said:
dont u think that the first value of the emitter current is actually that of the collector current.

Unless the transistor has an incredibly low beta then I doubt it.

Related to Calculate Change in V_EB and V_CE with Variation in Temp

1. How does temperature affect the change in VEB and VCE?

As temperature increases, the change in VEB and VCE also increases. This is because temperature affects the conductivity of a material, which in turn affects the voltage drop across the base-emitter and collector-emitter junctions in a transistor.

2. Is the change in VEB and VCE the same for all transistors?

No, the change in VEB and VCE can vary depending on the type of transistor and its specific characteristics. For example, a bipolar junction transistor may have a different change in VEB compared to a field-effect transistor.

3. How do you calculate the change in VEB and VCE with variation in temperature?

The change in VEB and VCE can be calculated using the temperature coefficient of the transistor. This coefficient is typically provided in the transistor's datasheet and can be used in the equation: ∆V = αVT∆T, where α is the temperature coefficient, VT is the thermal voltage, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

4. Why is it important to calculate the change in VEB and VCE with temperature variation?

Calculating the change in VEB and VCE with temperature variation is important because it allows us to understand how the performance of a transistor may be affected by changes in temperature. This is crucial in applications where precise control of the transistor is necessary, such as in electronic circuits.

5. Can temperature variation have a negative impact on the performance of a transistor?

Yes, temperature variation can have a negative impact on the performance of a transistor. As temperature increases, the change in VEB and VCE may also increase, which can result in a change in the transistor's operating point. This can cause problems in electronic circuits, such as signal distortion or thermal runaway.