Israel willing to peace in the middle east

• News
  • Thread starter Moses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Israel
In summary, the conversation discusses a quote attributed to Ariel Sharon, the Prime Minister of Israel in 1956. The quote is considered to be a fabrication due to its use of the term "Palestinian" which was not commonly used at that time. The conversation also touches on the history of the term "Palestinian" and its association with the Arab people living in the region. The conversation also mentions Sharon's age at the time and the comparison to the 9/11 attackers, as well as the idea that Sharon was a criminal.
Moses
Read the qoute below by Sharon, the prime minister of Israel:

"I don't know something called International Principles. I vow that I'll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child's existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I've killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in 1956). I encourage my soldiers to rape Arabic women and girls as the Palestinian women is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do." - Ariel Sharon, In an interview with General Ouze Merham, 1956

This guy is the head of the Israeli goverment, who got elected by his people..
is this showing a sign of peace?

Physics news on Phys.org
The comment that you quoted is indeed an invention, and a rather lame one. To begin with, any public expression of such sentiments would be grounds for dismissing a soldier from the army. Hatred is considered to render the soldier incapable of clear judgement and unreliable in carrying out the will of the state. Indeed many young hotheads have been dismissed from active combat duty because of their expression of racist sentiments--sentiments that could have serious consequences in an army in which Jews serve alongside Druze and Bedouin Arab soldiers.

One clue to the fact that the comment is a pure fabrication is the use of the word "Palestinian." In 1956, the term had still not taken hold in reference to Palestinian Arabs, but was at times used to refer to Jews born in Mandatory Palestine prior to the establishment of Israel. The Arabs in Palestine often referred to themselves as residents of "Greater Syria," or of the new state of Jordan. Many were also eligible for citizenship in the new state of Iraq, by virtue of their parents having come from the region prior to the establishment of Iraq. However, a large number had been caught in the process of migrating to look for work at the very time when the modern states were being set up by the great powers, and thus found themselves stateless on arrival in Mandatory Palestine.

At any rate, the term "Palestinian Arab" was made popular only in the early 1960's by what eventually became Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, the Palestine Liberation Movement, which was founded in 1964. It did not catch on right away, and certainly had not gained enough provenance to have been used by Ariel Sharon in 1956. There is simply no way that an Israeli--and certainly not one expressing the sentiments ascribed to Sharon in this comment--would at that time have used the term "Palestinian" to refer to the Arabs. Even when the term began to be used by the PLO in the 1960's, it was scoffed at, on the grounds that there had never been any state in the region called Palestine (see Golda Meir's comment, "There is no such thing as the 'Palestinian people'," referring to the PLO's use of the term.).
http://www.geocities.com/myjoy18/arielsharon1956lie.htm

Ok, it the land call palestine, thus the Arab people there called palestinians, [common sense] Yeah, there was a minority of jews living there. small one, but when the term used, it meand the core origin of that nation :Palestinians arabs.
See this link
http://masada2000.org/historical.html

Further, until 1993, Israel was not recognize the land that it invaded as Palestine, but rather Israel..and thus from this missed up mentality the stated that there is not such a thing...as some arabs and muslims i faced who did not recognize Israel as a state, rather as an invasion society in palestine. Thus, they say that such a thing called Israel is not there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell if you're trying to defend your original quote as valid, or if you've abandoned it and are moving onto other issues.

Since 1953 how many years passed 51 years right? Who was Sharon then?
He was some hot headed soldier full of young irrational exhuberance, and simplicity, in the midst of war, he might have said that.
When I was really young i said worst things.

Hurkyl said:
I can't tell if you're trying to defend your original quote as valid, or if you've abandoned it and are moving onto other issues.

Did you read the argument about whether the qoute above is a valid one or not?

The main point was: The word Palestine refers only to the Israelies in that time, and thus it CANT be used by Sharon at that time.

Simply, NO, the link clarify which was called the palestinian region, and who was called palestinian at that time [majority refer to Arabs, and >3% refer to jews living there before the British invasion to palestine] and by common sense Ariel Sharon does not mean the Palestinian Jews.

Tumor, Sharon at that time was around the age of the people who did 911 attcks, your argument ni this way is totally no sense [over 18, you can got killed legally by a crime you commited, by the court judgement about it]

Chill out everybody, Israelis Prime minister is CRIMINAL, and if we turn the thread to discuess that, I have loaded of proofs from the Israelis government itself. I am a Jew, may be even i don like Judaism, but the truth is the truth and have to be said!

Moses said:
Tumor, Sharon at that time was around the age of the people who did 911 attcks, your argument ni this way is totally no sense [over 18, you can got killed legally by a crime you commited, by the court judgement about it]
I don't see what America's death penalty laws have to do with him being a hot headed teenager and saying something dumb

Chill out everybody, Israelis Prime minister is CRIMINAL, and if we turn the thread to discuess that, I have loaded of proofs from the Israelis government itself. I am a Jew, may be even i don like Judaism, but the truth is the truth and have to be said!
What are his crimes?

Yawn. Anyway, anyone see the irony here? If Sharon really did say that (looks like an obvious fabrication to me too), that would only put him on equal footing with the "Palestinian" leadership!

Gonzolo said:
If you feel someone is a criminal and have loads of proof, then take that person to court.

Belgian highest court took Sharon to court, for his well documented "activity" in Lebanon.

tumor said:
Belgian highest court took Sharon to court, for his well documented "activity" in Lebanon.

Interesting, and what happened?

(I didn't think the discussion would lead anywhere, so I deleted the post, but you just got me back interested.)

Belgian law system has incorporated the Geneva Convention within its legal system.

tumor said:
Uh...I don't think it ever made it to court but I sure would like to see the transcript for the case if it did. So...why don't you give us a few more "facts"to support that?

I think his case was droped under some pressure from internnational community(USA),and they made ammendments to the Belgian legal system, no longer being able to persecute some high profile warcriminals.
Sorry,that is all i know, you going to have to check web for more.

tumor said:
I think his case was droped under some pressure from internnational community(USA),and they made ammendments to the Belgian legal system, no longer being able to persecute some high profile warcriminals.
Sorry,that is all i know, you going to have to check web for more.
Yes, that's closer to how I remember it. Although I don't believe it was just the USA pressuring. I do believe other cases came forward for possible prosecution as well, including that of Arafat and it was seen as prudent to tweek beligian laws a bit.

Moses said:
Did you read the argument about whether the qoute above is a valid one or not?

The main point was: The word Palestine refers only to the Israelies in that time, and thus it CANT be used by Sharon at that time.

Simply, NO, the link clarify which was called the palestinian region, and who was called palestinian at that time [majority refer to Arabs, and >3% refer to jews living there before the British invasion to palestine] and by common sense Ariel Sharon does not mean the Palestinian Jews.

True that. I have never heard of that quote, or of the crimes Sharon has commited in the 1950s, but I do know about the massacres (1 in Lebanon) that occurred in the 1970-early 80s. this man is a war criminal, and our president calls Sharon a man of Peace.

What a load of crap. Damn politians.

Bush :((Sharon is man of peace ..))

In August of 1953 Sharon, commanded the notorious 101 unit of IDF terrorists, in an attack on the refugee camp of El-Bureig, south of Gaza, where (according to an Israeli history of the 101 unit) 50 refugees were massacred. Other sources allege about 20.

In October of 1953, Sharon commanded the notorious 101 unit of IDF terrorists, in an attack on the Jordanian village of Qibya. Israeli historian Avi Shlaim describes the massacre thus: "Sharon's orders were to penetrate Qibya, blow up houses and inflict heavy casualties on its inhabitants. The village had been reduced to rubble: forty-five houses had been blown up, and sixty-nine civilians, two thirds of them women and children, had been killed".

Israel's foreign minister at the time, Moshe Sharett said "this stain (Qibya) will stick to us and will not be washed away for many years to come".

Between Feb. 28, 1955 and Oct. 10, 1956, Sharon led a paratrooper brigade in similar cross-border invasions of Gaza, Egypt, and the West Bank, Jordan. In the West Bank village of Qalqilya, Sharon's death squad killed 83 people.

In the Gaza Strip, 1967. Sharon brought in bulldozers and flattening whole streets. He did the whole lot, almost in one day.

In August 1971 troops under Mr Sharon's command destroyed some 2,000 homes in the Gaza Strip, uprooting 16,000 people for the second time in their lives. Hundreds of young Palestinian men were arrested and deported to Jordan and Lebanon. 104 Palestinians were killed.

Sharon's invasion of Lebanon in 1982 was responsible for some 20,000 Palestinian and Lebanese deaths. The Israelis bombed civilian populations at will. At Sabra and Shatila, he was responsible for the 1,962 massacred there. The killings took over 2 days. All killed were either elderly, women or children and included pregnant women. It is a fact that all those killed were civilians as the fighters had left for Tunis after receiving an assurance from the United States that if they left, the old men, women and children that stayed, would be protected (so much for American assurances).

If Sharon is man of peace as Bush said, then OBL deserve to be Mama Tereza!

Thanks for that original post. I was just thinking how it was sad I hadn't read any fiction lately. I'm suprised physicsforums took care of it!

Locrian said:
Thanks for that original post. I was just thinking how it was sad I hadn't read any fiction lately. I'm suprised physicsforums took care of it!

Of course when Arafat mentioned something or made bad remark about Israel he was the devil himself and what he supposedly said must have been true.

What is the current stance of Israel on peace in the Middle East?

As of now, Israel has expressed a willingness to negotiate and make peace with its neighboring countries in the Middle East. However, the specifics of any potential peace agreement are still being discussed and debated.

Why has it been difficult for Israel to achieve peace in the Middle East?

There are many complex reasons that have contributed to the difficulty of achieving peace in the Middle East. These include historical conflicts, territorial disputes, religious differences, and political tensions.

What steps has Israel taken in the past to promote peace in the region?

Over the years, Israel has made numerous efforts to promote peace in the Middle East. This includes signing peace agreements with neighboring countries, participating in peace talks and negotiations, and offering concessions and compromises.

What role does the international community play in Israel's pursuit of peace?

The international community plays a crucial role in Israel's pursuit of peace in the Middle East. Many countries and organizations have been involved in peace negotiations and have offered support and assistance in reaching a resolution.

What are the potential benefits of a peace agreement in the Middle East for Israel?

If a peace agreement is successfully reached, it could bring numerous benefits to Israel. These may include increased stability and security, improved economic opportunities, and stronger diplomatic relationships with its neighboring countries.