Reduced Exponential: Work & Formulae

In summary, the reduced exponential is a series that involves raising a general element, denoted as x, to integer powers and summing them. It is equivalent to (exp(x)-1) /x only when x is invertible. This construct has been encountered in quantum mechanics and there is no clear notation for it when x is not invertible. There is no known work or formulae involving this construct.
ianbell
"Reduced Exponential"

I am interested in what I call the "reduced exponential"
Sum_i=1 to infinity x^(i-1) / i!
where x is a general element in an algebra of interest.

Only when x is invertible is the reduced exponential equivalent to (exp(x)-1) /x .

Obviously we have a "reduced log", the inverse of the reduced exponential.

Does anybody of any work or formulae involving this construct? TIA.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How do you mean: "if x is invertible"?
If x is a number the series is always equal to (exp(x) - 1)/x, unless x= 0 in which case it converges to zero. If not, the notation with the division doesn't make sense.

Where did you encounter this function?

"How do you mean: "if x is invertible"?"

x is an element of a general algebra, not merely a real or complex number but a multivector or matrix or similar such object that can be raised to integer powers and summed and so exponentiated. I've encountered this in quantum mechanics ..

OK, it is possible to define the exponential in such cases, but then I would write
[tex](\exp(x) - 1) x^{-1}[/tex] (or [tex]x^{-1} (\exp(x) - 1)[/tex], though I think there is no difference here) instead of the division.

Writing [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] instead of dividing by [tex]x[/tex] doesn't help. What if x is not invertible? For example, the matrix
[tex]x = \bmatrix 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \endbmatrix[/tex]
has no inverse but certainly has a "reduced exponential" as defined in the OP: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac {x^{i-1}}{i!} = \bmatrix 1 & 1/2 \\ 0 & 1 \endbmatrix[/tex]

Last edited:
Doesn't help for what? I was just pointing out a notational inconvenience in
Only when x is invertible is the reduced exponential equivalent to (exp(x)-1) /x .
which still holds, as in the example you gave the sum evaluates to the identity which is not even close to exp(x) - 1 = x.

The question was
Does anybody of any work or formulae involving this construct? TIA.
which I must admit, I can't recall having seen or used anywhere.

1. What is the reduced exponential formula?

The reduced exponential formula is used to calculate the amount of work done by a force acting on an object over a certain distance. It is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. This formula assumes that the force and distance are in the same direction.

2. What is the difference between reduced exponential and regular exponential?

The main difference between reduced exponential and regular exponential is that the reduced exponential formula only considers the amount of work done in a straight line, while regular exponential takes into account the direction of the force and the distance it is applied over. Reduced exponential is simpler and more straightforward, but may not accurately represent real-life situations where forces act at angles.

3. How is reduced exponential used in scientific research?

Reduced exponential is commonly used in physics and engineering research to calculate the work done by forces such as gravity, friction, or electrical fields. It is also used to analyze the efficiency of machines and systems, and to determine the amount of energy required to perform a certain task.

4. Can reduced exponential be used to calculate work in non-linear situations?

No, reduced exponential can only be used to calculate work in linear situations where the force and distance are in the same direction. In non-linear situations, where the force and distance are not parallel, the regular exponential formula must be used.

5. How can I apply reduced exponential in everyday life?

Reduced exponential can be applied in everyday life to understand and analyze the work involved in simple tasks such as lifting objects, pushing a cart, or using a lever. It can also be used to compare the efficiency of different methods of performing a task, and to determine the amount of effort required for certain activities.