Elementwise Derivative of a Matrix Exponential

In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem involving maximizing a function with respect to a matrix, using matrix identities and derivatives. The speaker has found a paper on directional derivatives of the matrix exponential, but is unsure if it applies to their problem. They are hoping for a more efficient way of numerically taking derivatives of matrix functions. They have managed to differentiate the function and optimize it, but it is currently slow and they are looking for ways to increase efficiency.
madness
TL;DR Summary
How can I analytically or numerically maximise an expression involving matrix exponentials?
Hi all. A problem has arisen whereby I need to maximize a function which looks like $$ f(A) = \mathbf{w}^T \left[\int_0^t e^{\tau A} M e^{\tau A^T} d\tau \right]^{-1} \mathbf{w} $$ with respect to the nxn matrix A (here, M is a covariance matrix, so nxn symmetrix and positive-definite, w is an n-dimensional vector, so f(A) is a scalar). I want to differentiate wrt elements of A, and by using some matrix identities I can make some headway into this. But eventually I have to differentiate the matrix exponential wrt its elements. This looks to be a challenging problem - similar problems seem to have arisen in the context of optimal control theory but I'm not sure this one has been addressed. I'm happy to use a numerical approach in the end, but would like to derive some gradient that can be climbed, perhaps using an approximation to the derivative of the matrix exponential.

I found this paper on the directional derivative of the matrix exponential (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196885885710172). Am I correct in saying that my problem reduces to taking directional derivatives along the matrix direction $$ \mathbf{w} \mathbf{w}^T $$? If so, maybe these results could be used. Otherwise, each elementwise derivative is actually a directional derivative itself, but I'd need to find n^2 of them which would be computationally intensive. If not, is there perhaps some other more general way of numerically taking derivatives of difficult matrix functions such as this?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define the integral of a matrix?

It's an elementwise integral. This is a standard integral called the controllability Gramian, whose solution is given by a Lyapunov equation.

I've now managed to differentiate the function f(A) with respect to the elements of A and optimise numerically. However it's very slow as I have to solve two Lyapunov equations for each element of A I want to get the derivative of, which for now is all N^2 elements. And I have to do this iteratively as I climb the gradient to optimise f(A). I'm hoping there is a way to increase efficiency by only differentiating along directions that affect f(A).

1. What is the definition of elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential?

The elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential is the derivative of each element in the matrix with respect to the independent variable. It is represented by a matrix of the same size as the original matrix, where each element is the derivative of the corresponding element in the original matrix.

2. Why is the elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential important in scientific research?

The elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential is important because it allows for the analysis and optimization of complex systems described by matrices. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How is the elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential calculated?

The elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential is calculated by first finding the derivative of the exponential function, and then applying the chain rule to each element in the matrix. This results in a matrix of the same size as the original matrix, where each element is the product of the derivative of the exponential function and the derivative of the corresponding element in the original matrix.

4. What are the applications of the elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential?

The elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential has many applications in various fields. It is used in the analysis and optimization of systems described by matrices, such as in control systems and signal processing. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the time evolution of quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential?

One limitation of the elementwise derivative of a matrix exponential is that it only applies to matrices with real-valued elements. It also cannot be used for matrices with non-differentiable elements. Additionally, the calculation of the elementwise derivative can be computationally expensive for large matrices.