A question for all you coffe connoisseurs out there =)

• Thread starter bac2789
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks how many people would have to yell for 60 seconds to heat up an 8oz cup of coffee from room temperature (70°F) to a toasty 70°C, assuming a perfect transfer of energy and a perfectly insulated cup. The given variables are volume (8oz), initial temperature (70°F), final temperature (70°C), and time (60 seconds). The unknown variable is the number of people needed. The equations used are for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit, and for density. The solution process involves converting the volume from ounces to cubic meters, calculating the mass of water using the density of 1g/mL, and then determining the amount of energy needed to heat the water from 21.
bac2789
I've always chuckled when I look up in my classroom and see the poster my physics teacher owns asking "How long would you have to yell to heat up a cup of coffe?". It would take an impracticle amount of time for a single person, however, with a twist this question could turn into quite the amusing experiment (granted it would take an enormous group of people). I figured you forum helpers must get bored every now and then, so I have a question for you! Yes, this is a spin on things, a pop-quiz from a student for all you teachers out there ;)

My question to you is:

How many people would have to yell for 60 sec to heat up an 8oz cup of coffe from room temperature (70°F) to a toasty 70°C? (Note: The average person yells at about 80 decibles)

Assume a perfect transfer of energy from your yell to the coffee, a perfectly insulated cup that will never let any heat escape, and an unending even stream of energy.

Cant you just feel your tastebuds tingling with excitement!?

Be sure to post your:

1. Givens and Unknowns

Homework Equations

3. Work and solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My class hasn't covered themodynamics, or sound yet, but I don't want everyone thinking I'm secretly trying to get a homework answer! So here's my attempt... I'll be researching as I go so don't hold it against me! I might need some help at various stages in my problem. =)

1) G/U:
V=8oz
Ti=21.1°C
Tf=70°C
Δt=60s
1 Ounce = 0.0000295735296 Cubic Meters

2) Equations:

°C = 5/9 (°F-32)
Density = m/v

3) Work and Solution:

°C= 5/9 (°F-32)
°C= 5/9 (70-32)
°C= 21.1
Ti=21.1°C

(8oz) (0.0000295735296) = 0.0002365882368 m3 = 2.4e-4 m3

Density = m/V
m=Density * V
m=Density * (2.4e-4 m3)

Hmmmm, I'm stuck here. Am I missing data? Cant calculate mass if I don't have the density of water at 21.1°C. Are there ways to calculate the density of water at 21.1°C? Or is this a measured value that I'd have to add to my question?

Last edited:
You can safely assume 1 g/mL, even if it is not exact, it is close to reality.

For a very high precision you should check in density tables (but in this case it would be a waste of time).

1. What makes a good cup of coffee?

A good cup of coffee is made by using high-quality, freshly roasted beans, properly ground and brewed with the right water temperature and extraction time. The flavor and aroma of the coffee will also depend on the type of beans, roast level, and brewing method.

2. What is the difference between Arabica and Robusta coffee beans?

Arabica and Robusta are the two main species of coffee beans. Arabica beans are considered higher quality, with a smoother and more complex flavor profile, while Robusta beans have a stronger, more bitter taste. Arabica beans also contain less caffeine than Robusta beans.

3. What is the best way to store coffee beans?

The best way to store coffee beans is in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight and heat. It is also important to keep them in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing them in the fridge or freezer, as this can cause condensation and affect the flavor of the beans.

4. How can I make my coffee taste less bitter?

To reduce the bitterness in your coffee, try using a coarser grind, using less coffee grounds, and brewing at a lower temperature. You can also add a pinch of salt or a dash of cinnamon to your coffee, as these can help balance out the bitterness.

5. Is it better to buy whole beans or pre-ground coffee?

It is generally better to buy whole beans and grind them yourself just before brewing. This ensures the freshness and quality of the coffee. Pre-ground coffee can quickly lose its flavor and aroma due to exposure to air and light. However, if you don't have a grinder, buying pre-ground coffee is still a better option than buying stale whole beans.