Electro question: Drop Voltage with 1 ohm resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses how to decrease the potential from 6V to 4V using a 6V battery and 1 ohm resistors. It is determined that by connecting two 1 ohm resistors in series, the potential can be dropped to 4V. The concept of current and resistance is also mentioned, and it is explained that a potential difference is necessary to have current and resistance in a circuit. A voltage divider is suggested as a solution, using three 1 ohm resistors in series to create a 4V potential.
atrain77a
This might be a silly one, but I'm a bit stumped:

Suppose you have a 6V battery and an unlimited supply of 1 ohm resistors.

How do you drop the potential from 6V to 4V using the resistors?

Off the top of my head I think you just put two of the resistors into a series attached to the positive side (cathode??) of the battery and you're at 4V.

However, since current isn't mentioned anywhere (think V=IR) I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to simply lower potential by stringing resistors together in series without worrying about current drawn or did I miss something simple? Thanks a bunch. -Stumped T. Day

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is only created in the presence of a potential difference and resistance, so they didn't mention it because without the resistors you have no current. With resistors in series the current is the same, I = I1=I2=... also, so it will be constant. If they are in parallel than I=I1+I2... and the voltage stays the same.

You should be able to use that to construct a circuit that has a final potential difference between two points of 4V. The potential difference between your battery though will always be 6V.

Also just to make sure you know, to get current or resistance in a circuit you must have a potential difference, so if you have two resistors hooked up to the + battery terminal nothing will happen.

Last edited:
A simple voltage divider will do. Connect 3 1 Ohm resistors in series, the voltage drop across two 1 ohm resistors will be 4 Volts (you can verify this using Ohm's Law). You can use this potential as your new 'battery' (Although in practice, I would recommend this configuration since 2 Amps are flowing through the circuit).

Claude.

What is drop voltage?

Drop voltage, also known as voltage drop, is the decrease in voltage that occurs when an electrical current travels through a resistor. It is measured in volts and is caused by the resistance of the material the current is flowing through.

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that is designed to resist the flow of electricity, causing a drop in voltage. Resistors are measured in ohms.

How does using 1 ohm resistors affect drop voltage?

Using 1 ohm resistors will decrease the drop voltage in a circuit. This is because the lower the resistance, the less voltage will be lost as the current travels through the resistor. Using 1 ohm resistors can also help to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit.

What factors can affect drop voltage in a circuit?

There are several factors that can affect drop voltage in a circuit, including the material and length of the conductor, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the type and resistance of the resistor used. Temperature can also affect drop voltage, as some materials have a higher resistance when they are heated.

How can I calculate drop voltage in a circuit with 1 ohm resistors?

To calculate drop voltage in a circuit with 1 ohm resistors, you will need to know the amount of current flowing through the circuit and the total resistance of the circuit. You can then use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the drop voltage. Simply multiply the current (I) by the resistance (R) to get the drop voltage (V).