How Does Tan A + Tan C Equal b^2/ac in a Right Triangle?

In summary: This is true no matter how you name the sides. In summary, the Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this problem, the hypotenuse is represented by b and the other two sides are represented by a and c. Therefore, b2=a2+c2.
wellY--3
ABC is right angled at B.

Prove that tanA+tanC=b^2 / ac

Ok so far I've got that tan A= a/c and tanC=c/a and then when i try to add those together i get (c^2)(a^2)/ac , but how can (c^2)(a^2) = b^2
all I've thought of is pythagorus's theorem. But for it to equal b^2, a^2 has to be taken away from c^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
wellY--3 said:

Ok so far I've got that tan A= a/c and tanC=c/a and then when i try to add those together i get (c^2)(a^2)/ac

Are you sure about this? How did adding become multiplication?

wellY--3 said:
but how can (c^2)(a^2) = b^2

It doesn't

wellY--3 said:
all I've thought of is pythagorus's theorem. But for it to equal b^2, a^2 has to be taken away from c^2

Again are you sure? The Pythagorean theorem says that a2+b2=c2 where c is the hypotenuse of the right triangle and a and b are the two legs of the triangle. Is that the case in this problem?

wellY--3 said:

Ok so far I've got that tan A= a/c and tanC=c/a and then when i try to add those together i get (c^2)(a^2)/ac , but how can (c^2)(a^2) = b^2

Note: [tex]\frac{a}{c}+\frac{c}{a} = \frac{a^2+c^2}{a c}[/tex]

ok ok so then it equals c^2+a^2/ca
I still don't see how the top can equal b^2

did someone mentioned that this triangle is right-angled?

wellY--3 said:
ok ok so then it equals c^2+a^2/ca
I still don't see how the top can equal b^2
by Pythagorean theorem, a2 + c2 = b2 for the triangle you mentioned. B is the right angle here. so b is the hypotenuse. so it's square should be equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, namely a and c

i thought c was always the hypotenuse ...so b^2=c^2-a^2

wellY--3 said:
i thought c was always the hypotenuse ...so b^2=c^2-a^2

It depends what you call the sides! In your first post, you appear to be adopting the naming that calls the sides opposite angles A, B and C, a, b and c respectively.

Note that Pythagoras' Theorem simply says that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Thus, in this case, b2=a2+c2

Related to How Does Tan A + Tan C Equal b^2/ac in a Right Triangle?

1. What is the formula for proving Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac?

The formula for proving Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac is derived from the Pythagorean theorem which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (a and b). In this case, we replace the sides with the tangent of their angles, giving us the formula Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac.

2. How do I prove Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac?

To prove Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac, we can use the trigonometric identity Tan(A + C) = (Tan A + Tan C) / (1 - Tan A * Tan C). By substituting this in the given equation, we get (Tan A + Tan C) * (1 - Tan A * Tan C) = b^2/ac. Simplifying further, we get Tan^2A + Tan^2C = b^2/ac, which is equivalent to the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the significance of proving Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac?

Proving Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac is important in the study of trigonometry and geometry as it helps us understand the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. It also serves as a basis for solving various problems related to triangles in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.

4. Can this formula be applied to all types of triangles?

No, this formula can only be applied to right triangles. In other types of triangles, the tangent of an angle is not equal to the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side. However, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the relationship between the angles and sides of any triangle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of Tan A + Tan C = b^2/ac. For example, it can be used in surveying to calculate the height of a building or mountain by measuring the distance to the base and the angle of elevation. It is also used in navigation to determine the distance and direction of an object or location using trigonometric functions.