Volume affects temperature change? No. of hydrogen ions?

In summary: And for question b), I'm incorrect?In summary,a) Hydrochloric acid is more acidic than sodium hydroxide.b) Phosphoric acid can give up as many three protons.
Kyoma

Homework Statement

a) 100 cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of hydrochloric acid was added to 100 cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of sodium hydroxide and a rise in temperature of 4 degrees was observed. If 200 cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of hydrochloric acid and 200 cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of sodium hydroxide were used, the rise in temperature would be about?

b) Which solution contains the greatest concentration of hydrogen ions?
1. 2 mol/dm3 of sulfuric acid
2. 5 mol/dm3 of ethanoic acid
3. 2 mol/dm3 of sulfurous acid
4. 2 mol/dm3 of phosphoric acid

2. The attempt at a solution

a) I put 8 degrees as the answer since there are twice as many moles for each solution, but I was wrong. The correct answer is 4 degrees. Does this mean that enthalpy change is unaffected by the number of moles of the reactants?

b) I put 4 as the answer since its molecular formula is H3PO4, thus there are 3 moles of hydrogen ions in one molecule of the acid and multiplying it by the concentration gives me 6 moles of hydrogen ions, the highest, but I was wrong again. The answer is 1. I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyoma said:
a) I put 8 degrees as the answer since there are twice as many moles for each solution, but I was wrong. The correct answer is 4 degrees. Does this mean that enthalpy change is unaffected by the number of moles of the reactants?
The enthalpy is doubled -- you're right about that. What's the relationship between enthalpy and temperature change?

b) I put 4 as the answer since its molecular formula is H3PO4, thus there are 3 moles of hydrogen ions in one molecule of the acid and multiplying it by the concentration gives me 6 moles of hydrogen ions, the highest, but I was wrong again. The answer is 1. I have no idea.
Phosphoric acid can give up as many three protons. But it is not very willing to do that -- in an acidic solution, it will hang on to some of the three. This can be calculated. Have you studied pKa yet?

So, my answer for question one is correct? But the correct answer is 4 degrees?

And, no, I have not learned pKa yet... Is it possible if you can give a brief introduction on pKa? -.-

So, you are saying that for question a), I'm correct?

a) The volume of the reactants does not affect the enthalpy change of a reaction. The rise in temperature observed is a result of the exothermic reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide, which releases energy in the form of heat. The amount of heat released is determined by the amount of reactants present, not their volume.

b) The concentration of a solution is determined by the number of moles of solute in a given volume of solution. In this case, the solution with the greatest concentration of hydrogen ions would be 2 mol/dm3 of sulfuric acid, as it has the highest molar concentration of hydrogen ions (2 moles of H+ per 1 liter of solution). The molecular formula and number of moles of hydrogen ions in a molecule do not necessarily determine the concentration of a solution.

1. How does volume affect temperature change?

Volume affects temperature change through the principle of gas laws, specifically the ideal gas law. According to this law, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its temperature. This means that as the volume increases, the temperature decreases and vice versa.

2. What is the relationship between volume and temperature in gases?

The relationship between volume and temperature in gases is described by Charles' Law. This law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming constant pressure. This means that as the volume increases, the temperature also increases and vice versa.

3. Can volume affect the number of hydrogen ions in a solution?

Yes, volume can affect the number of hydrogen ions in a solution. This is because the concentration of a solution is affected by its volume. If the volume of a solution increases, the concentration of hydrogen ions (or any other solute) will decrease and vice versa.

4. How does the number of hydrogen ions affect temperature change?

The number of hydrogen ions does not directly affect temperature change. However, the concentration of hydrogen ions (pH level) can indirectly affect temperature change through its impact on the properties of the solution. For example, a highly acidic or basic solution may have a different boiling or freezing point compared to a neutral solution.

5. Is there a specific volume that will cause a change in temperature in a solution with a certain number of hydrogen ions?

The specific volume that will cause a change in temperature in a solution with a certain number of hydrogen ions will depend on various factors such as the type of gas, the initial temperature and pressure, and the presence of other solutes. It is not possible to determine a specific volume without considering these factors and conducting experiments.