Solving Volumetric Analysis Questions with NaOH & H3PO4

• Thread starter wei1006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the reaction between sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and phosphoric acid (H3PO4). The given information includes the concentration of OH- ions in a solution of NaOH, the volume of the solution used, and the concentration of H3PO4 in a titration. The attempt at a solution involves converting volumes into moles and using the mole ratio between NaOH and H3PO4 to determine the concentration of NaOH. However, the question is poorly written and lacks important information. The use of the given concentration of OH- is also unclear. The conversation ends with a request for guidance on how to approach the question.
wei1006

Homework Statement

A solution of sodium hydroxide(NaOH) contains 1.70g of hydroxide (OH-) ions per dm^3. 20.0 cm^3 of the solution reacts with 25.00cm^3 of 0.0400 mol/dm^3 phosphoric acid(H3PO4). How many moles of sodium hydroxide reacts with 1 mol of phosphoric acid? What will be the chemical equation for the reaction?

20160102_143215.jpg

Homework Equations

I have came up with an equation for the acid base reaction:
3NaOH + H3PO4 -----> Na3PO4 + 3H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have no idea where to start for this question so I resorted to converting things I know into moles first but realized that I still have no idea how to attempt this question.

Moles of H3PO4
= (25.00/1000) x 0.0400
= 0.00100mol

Mole ratio: 3NaOH = H3PO4

Moles of NaOH
= 3 x 0.00100
= 0.00300mol

Concentration of NaOH in mol/dm^3
= 0.00300/ (20÷1000)
= 0.150 mol/dm^3

I am actually wondering what is the use of the given concentration of OH-

I have no idea how to attempt this kind of question. Please guide me along! Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a poorly written question. The reaction equation you wrote is in general a correct one or the reaction between NaOH and H3PO4, but it is not what would happen in a typical titration. I feel like question should mention it, otherwise it is confusing.

How many moles of OH- per 1 L? What is their concentration then? How many moles of NaOH reacted with how many moles of the acid?

What is volumetric analysis?

Volumetric analysis is a method used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a solution by measuring its volume and reacting it with another solution of known concentration.

What is NaOH and H3PO4?

NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and H3PO4 (phosphoric acid) are both commonly used in volumetric analysis as titrants or solutions of known concentration. NaOH is a strong base and H3PO4 is a weak acid.

How do you solve volumetric analysis questions with NaOH and H3PO4?

To solve volumetric analysis questions with NaOH and H3PO4, you will need to perform a titration. This involves adding one solution (the titrant) to the other solution (the analyte) until the reaction reaches its equivalence point. From there, you can use the volume and concentration of the titrant to calculate the concentration of the analyte.

What are some common indicators used in volumetric analysis?

Some common indicators used in volumetric analysis include phenolphthalein, methyl orange, and bromothymol blue. These indicators change color at specific pH levels, allowing you to determine when the reaction has reached its equivalence point.

What are some sources of error in volumetric analysis?

Some sources of error in volumetric analysis include inaccurate measurements, incomplete reaction, and impurities in the solutions. It is important to carefully measure and mix the solutions, and to perform multiple trials to ensure accuracy in your results.