Understanding Velocity: ds/dt and dr/dt in Particle Motion

• Thread starter Adjoint
  • Start date
In summary, the velocity of a particle moving along a curve can be calculated using two different methods: \vec{v} = ds/dt \hat{u}, where \hat{u} is the tangent to the curve, or \vec{v} = d\vec{r}/dt, where \vec{r} is the displacement of the particle in the same time interval. Both of these methods result in the same velocity, as any differences between the two methods become negligible in the limit.
Adjoint
This is one very basic question. But I just need to confirm if I understood it right.

Suppose a particle moves along a curve and crosses Δs path in Δt time. Then we can say the velocity of the particle is [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = ds/dt [itex]\hat{u}[/itex]
Where [itex]\hat{u}[/itex] is tangent to the curve.

Also if the same particle, as it crosses Δs, goes through a displacement Δ[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the same time interval Δt we say [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]/dt

Is the V's calculated above are same (ie equal)?

I know the question is silly, but at present this forum is the only place for me to get help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adjoint said:
This is one very basic question. But I just need to confirm if I understood it right.

Suppose a particle moves along a curve and crosses Δs path in Δt time. Then we can say the velocity of the particle is [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = ds/dt [itex]\hat{u}[/itex]
Where [itex]\hat{u}[/itex] is tangent to the curve.

Also if the same particle, as it crosses Δs, goes through a displacement Δ[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the same time interval Δt we say [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]/dt

Is the V's calculated above are same (ie equal)?

I know the question is silly, but at present this forum is the only place for me to get help.

The are the same. I think I know what you are thinking, that perhaps the second one is slightly smaller because the path may be curved, but any difference between ##\Delta{s}## and ##|\Delta\vec{r}|## goes to 0 in the limit, and any angle between ##\Delta\vec{r}## and the path goes to 0 in the limit as well. So in the limit they are perfectly the same, ##d\vec{r} \over dt## is exactly the vector rate of change of position which is velocity.

Likes 1 person
verty said:
any difference between ##\Delta{s}## and ##|\Delta\vec{r}|## goes to 0 in the limit, and any angle between ##\Delta\vec{r}## and the path goes to 0 in the limit as well. So in the limit they are perfectly the same

Thanks. :smile:

1. What is the difference between Ds/dt and Dr/dt?

Ds/dt and Dr/dt are both mathematical expressions that represent rates of change. Ds/dt stands for "rate of change of s with respect to t" and represents the change in s divided by the change in t. On the other hand, Dr/dt stands for "rate of change of r with respect to t" and represents the change in r divided by the change in t. The main difference between the two is that s and r represent different variables or quantities.

2. What do Ds/dt and Dr/dt represent in physics?

In physics, Ds/dt and Dr/dt are used to represent the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of an object, respectively. Ds/dt represents the change in position over time, while Dr/dt represents the change in velocity over time.

3. How do you calculate Ds/dt and Dr/dt?

Ds/dt and Dr/dt can be calculated using the derivative rule in calculus. To calculate Ds/dt, take the derivative of the function for s with respect to t. Similarly, to calculate Dr/dt, take the derivative of the function for r with respect to t. Both of these expressions can be calculated using the quotient rule or the chain rule in calculus.

4. What are the units for Ds/dt and Dr/dt?

The units for Ds/dt and Dr/dt will depend on the specific variables being used in the function. For example, if s is measured in meters and t is measured in seconds, then Ds/dt will have units of meters per second (m/s). Similarly, if r is measured in meters per second and t is measured in seconds, then Dr/dt will have units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How can Ds/dt and Dr/dt be used in real-life applications?

Ds/dt and Dr/dt are commonly used in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, these expressions are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion. In engineering, they are used to analyze the rates of change in various systems. In economics, Ds/dt and Dr/dt are used to model changes in supply and demand for goods and services.