Help Understanding 3D Coordinates

• Thread starter Speedracer72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the person is asking for help understanding when x,y,z values are positive or negative and provides a diagram as an example. Another person suggests using a map as a simplification and provides a different diagram for clarification. The original person is still confused and asks for further explanation.
Speedracer72
Ok, so I am having help knowing when x,y,z are positive or negative. My graph looks something similar to this..

-------------z---------x
-------y

---------------------y

---x

--------------z

I am really confused as to when a location in all 3 axes is negative or positive in all x,y,z.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your diagram doesn't really explain what you are getting at. You might want to elaborate?

Well, i may not understand the question either.
See if this is on track -

it's the duty of the guy who's writing the book or article or drawing the chart to define his axes.

Let's start simple

IF you look at a map flat on your table,
most folks would agree East is positive direction in X,
and North is positive direction in Y,
and UP out of the map is positive direction in Z.

is that any help ??

Speedracer72 said:
Ok, so I am having help knowing when x,y,z are positive or negative. My graph looks something similar to this..

-------------z---------x
-------y

---------------------y

---x

--------------z

I am really confused as to when a location in all 3 axes is negative or positive in all x,y,z.

Welcome to the PF.

Maybe this is a better picture to start with. Can you use this picture to state your question a little more clearly?

http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/phased/ug/rh_coordinate.gif
http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/phased/ug/rh_coordinate.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I can help you understand 3D coordinates. In a 3D coordinate system, there are three axes - x, y, and z. The x-axis represents horizontal movement, the y-axis represents vertical movement, and the z-axis represents depth or distance from the viewer. In your graph, the x-axis is horizontal, the y-axis is vertical, and the z-axis is coming out of the page towards the reader.

To determine if a location is positive or negative in all three axes, you need to look at the signs of the numbers on each axis. If a number is positive, it means the point is located to the right of the origin (in the case of the x-axis), above the origin (in the case of the y-axis), or in front of the origin (in the case of the z-axis). If a number is negative, it means the point is located to the left of the origin (x-axis), below the origin (y-axis), or behind the origin (z-axis).

For example, if a point has coordinates (2,3,4), it means it is located 2 units to the right of the origin, 3 units above the origin, and 4 units in front of the origin. If a point has coordinates (-3,-1,-5), it means it is located 3 units to the left of the origin, 1 unit below the origin, and 5 units behind the origin.

I hope this helps you understand when a location is positive or negative in all three axes. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

1. What are 3D coordinates?

3D coordinates, also known as three-dimensional coordinates, are a set of three numbers that represent the position of a point in a three-dimensional space. They are used to locate points in a 3D environment, such as in computer graphics or in real-world applications like GPS.

2. How do 3D coordinates work?

3D coordinates use a Cartesian coordinate system to determine the location of a point in a three-dimensional space. The x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis represent the three dimensions, and the coordinates are given as (x,y,z) where x represents the horizontal position, y represents the vertical position, and z represents the depth or distance from the origin.

3. What is the difference between 3D and 2D coordinates?

The main difference between 3D and 2D coordinates is the number of dimensions they represent. 3D coordinates use three numbers to locate a point in a three-dimensional space, while 2D coordinates use two numbers to locate a point in a two-dimensional space. 3D coordinates also have a z-coordinate, which represents depth, while 2D coordinates only have an x and y-coordinate.

4. How are 3D coordinates used in real-world applications?

3D coordinates are used in various real-world applications, such as computer graphics, video games, and GPS. In computer graphics, 3D coordinates are used to create three-dimensional objects and scenes. In video games, they are used to determine the position of characters and objects in the game world. GPS uses 3D coordinates to pinpoint a location on the Earth's surface.

5. How can I improve my understanding of 3D coordinates?

To improve your understanding of 3D coordinates, you can practice visualizing and manipulating them in a 3D environment. You can also study the principles of geometry and trigonometry, as they are the foundation for understanding 3D coordinates. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can help you learn and master 3D coordinates.