Some one Pressure Amplitude

In summary, the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air is 33.576 N/m^2. This exerts a force of 1.746 milli N on an eardrum with an area of 0.520*10^-4 m^2.
Jtappan
Some one please help! Pressure Amplitude

Homework Statement

(a) What is the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air?

_____ N/m2
(b) What force does this exert on an eardrum of area 0.520 10-4 m2?

_____ mN

3. The Attempt at a Solution

if P is amplitude of pressure, then sound intensity (I) is proportional to P^2
I/Io = (P/Po)^2
dB = sound intensity level = 10 log[I/Io]
124.5 = 10 log[I/Io] = 10 log[P/Po]^2 = 20 log(P/Po)
log(P/Po) = 124.5/20 = 6.225
P = Po [10]^6.225
Po = reference pressure amplitude for human ear = 2*10^-5 N/m^2
P = 2*10^-5*[10]^6.225
P = 33.576 N/m^2
----------------
Force on eardrum = P * area = 33.576*0.52*10^4 N
F = 1.746 milli N

This is what I did. But it is not giving me the correct answer...can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pressure tactics, posting it three times.

33.5 N/m^2 seems to be correct. Are you getting both answers wrong?

Hi there, thank you for your question. Based on your calculations, it seems like you have the right approach to solving this problem. However, there may be a small mistake in your final calculation.

When solving for the pressure amplitude (P), you used the reference pressure amplitude for the human ear (Po) as 2*10^-5 N/m^2. However, this value is actually the reference pressure amplitude for sound in air at sea level, not specifically for the human ear. The reference pressure amplitude for the human ear is typically given as 20 micro Pascals (μPa) or 2*10^-5 Pa.

So, when solving for P, you should use Po = 2*10^-5 Pa instead of 2*10^-5 N/m^2. This will give you a pressure amplitude of 33.576 μPa or 33.576*10^-6 N/m^2. Using this value in your final calculation for the force on the eardrum, you should get a result of 1.746 μN or 1.746*10^-3 mN.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is pressure amplitude?

Pressure amplitude refers to the maximum change in pressure that occurs during a particular wave or vibration. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pascals or pounds per square inch.

2. How is pressure amplitude calculated?

To calculate pressure amplitude, you need to know the maximum pressure of the wave or vibration and the baseline pressure. Subtract the baseline pressure from the maximum pressure to get the pressure amplitude.

3. What factors affect pressure amplitude?

The factors that affect pressure amplitude include the frequency of the wave or vibration, the distance from the source of the wave, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Other factors, such as temperature and atmospheric conditions, can also impact pressure amplitude.

4. What is the relationship between pressure amplitude and sound volume?

Pressure amplitude and sound volume are directly related. As pressure amplitude increases, so does the volume of sound. This is because the greater the pressure change, the more energy is transferred to the medium, resulting in a louder sound.

5. How can pressure amplitude be measured?

Pressure amplitude can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a pressure gauge or a microphone. The specific method of measurement will depend on the type of wave or vibration being analyzed and the desired level of accuracy.