[Thermo] - Maxwells Relations? Prove the Validity of the Equations

In summary: Then find the second derivative and use the Product Rule to combine the two derivatives. That should give the proof.
tesla22

Homework Statement

We are working on some problems for class and we are given statements which I accept as valid but don't know how to prove they are valid. I believe I have to utilize the maxwell relations but the terms seem unfamiliar to me.

Homework Equations

(1)
Partial
(d^2f / ds^2)_T = T / Kv

(2)
Partial
(d^2h / ds^2)_P = T / C_p

(3)
Partial
(d^2u / ds^2)_v = T / C_v

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first equation, I know that the isothermal compressibiity K = -1/v partial(dv/dP)_T

For the second equation I also know that C_p/T = partial(ds/dT)_P = 1/T * partial(dh/dT)_P and i need to take this knowledge to combine the equations but I don't see how I would be getting the square on the ds out of this. Obviously I'm missing something.

C_v/T should be the same proof with u in place of h holding v constant.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1681973&postcount=4". To handle the second derivative, note that [itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial S}\right)_P[/itex] is also known as [itex]T[/itex]. So differentiate [itex]T[/itex] with respect to [itex]S[/itex] again at constant pressure. Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You, I think the answers were staring me in the face but in a different format and i didn't put 2 and 2 together until your response. I now have a solution where T=du/ds with v constant and T=dh/ds with p constant (correct?) and plugging these into the equations cv=T(ds/dt)_v and cp=T(dt/ds)_p to get the desired proof. I think its right.

I'm still struggling with the third one however so any assistance would be appreciated. How do you make the proper symbols appear?

The first relation can't be true, the units don't match up.

Mapes said:
The first relation can't be true, the units don't match up.

Yes that's the one I'm struggling with sorry, the first one. The 2nd and 3rd I believe I have proven as said in the previous post.

I completely screwed up the first one, the actual problem is as follows:

(d^2f / dv^2)_T = 1 / Kv

This is the one I am struggling with at the moment. Sorry I was trying too hard to convey the format of the problem that i got the variables wrong somehow.

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Try writing out the differential form of the Helmholtz free energy dF and taking the derivative of that twice with respect to V at constant T. The first derivative equals a well-known parameter.

What are Maxwell's relations?

Maxwell's relations are a set of four equations that relate the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties to each other. They were derived by James Clerk Maxwell and are used to simplify thermodynamic calculations.

What are the four Maxwell's relations?

The four Maxwell's relations are:

• ∂S/∂V = ∂P/∂T
  • ∂S/∂T = -∂P/∂V
  • ∂U/∂V = T∂P/∂T - P
  • ∂U/∂T = CV + T∂P/∂V

How are Maxwell's relations derived?

Maxwell's relations are derived using the first and second laws of thermodynamics, along with the definition of entropy and other thermodynamic properties. They can also be derived using the Jacobian matrix and the Helmholtz free energy.

Why are Maxwell's relations important?

Maxwell's relations are important because they allow us to relate different thermodynamic properties to each other, making it easier to solve complicated thermodynamic problems. They also help us understand the relationships between different properties and how they change with respect to each other.

How do we prove the validity of Maxwell's relations?

The validity of Maxwell's relations can be proved using mathematical derivations and experiments. The equations have been tested and verified through various experiments and have been found to accurately describe the relationships between thermodynamic properties.