Solving Equation ABXC = D with Matrix Inverses

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an equation with matrices, where the task is to express one of the matrices using inverse matrices of other matrices and a constant. The participants use different properties of matrices to solve the problem, including the associative property and the property of inverse matrices. Ultimately, one of the participants provides a helpful hint that leads to the solution of the problem.
twoflower
Hi all,

I have this equation:

ABXC = D

Where A, B and C are regular matrixes. The task is to express the matrix X using matrixes A^-1, B^-1, C^-1, D, where A^-1 means inverse matrix.

I don't have any idea how to solve it..

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
1) Now, you know ONE property about the inverse of a matrix, for example:
C*C^-1=C^-1*C=I
where I is the identity matrix.
2) You also know that for any matrix W and identity matrix I, you have:
WI=IW=W
3) You should also know that the product of matrices is ASSOCIATIVE, that is for matrices A, B, C, we have:
A*B*C=(A*B)*C=A*(B*C)

Use these properties.

Thank you, I already tried to use these properties, but without success. I always end with the fact that I cannot simply move X to the right side of the equation, in order to get something like this:
X = D / ABC, because dividing of matrix is not defined. I just need some hint. Unfortunately I'm not able to solve it using just the properties so far...

I'll give you a start:
1)Define the matrix W=ABX
2) Hence, your equation can be written as:
WC=D
3) NOW, Apply C^-1 to this equation:
WC*C^-1=DC^-1
4) On your left-hand side, you may now simplify:
W=DC^-1
5) Or, expressed with your original matrices:
ABX=DC^-1
6) Can you now try to proceed further along these lines?

Thank you arildno, that's exactly I was asking for - this hint (multiplicating each side with some matrix) didn't come to my mind.

Thank you again, you helped me much!

Related to Solving Equation ABXC = D with Matrix Inverses

1. What is a matrix inverse?

A matrix inverse is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it is like a "reverse" matrix that undoes the operations of the original matrix.

2. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate method. The Gauss-Jordan elimination method involves transforming the original matrix into reduced row-echelon form, while the adjugate method involves finding the determinant and cofactor matrix of the original matrix.

3. Why is finding the inverse of a matrix useful?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is useful because it allows us to solve equations involving matrices. In particular, it is helpful in solving systems of linear equations, as well as in finding solutions to equations with variables raised to different powers.

4. Can every matrix be inverted?

No, not every matrix can be inverted. For a matrix to be invertible, its determinant must be non-zero. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and cannot be inverted.

5. How is the inverse of a matrix used to solve equations?

The inverse of a matrix is used to solve equations by multiplying both sides of the equation by the inverse matrix. This "undoes" the operations of the original matrix and isolates the variable, allowing us to solve for it. For example, in the equation ABXC = D, we would multiply both sides by the inverse of the matrix ABX to isolate C.