Negating a Statement in Mathematics

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
In summary, the negation of a statement is the opposite or contrary of the original statement, typically denoted by placing "not" in front of the statement or using the "~" symbol. To accurately write the negation, one must consider the context and logical structure of the statement, and may also use logical operators. The negation of a statement can be true, as it is used in scientific research to challenge or disprove hypotheses and theories. This process helps to refine and strengthen scientific knowledge. The negation of a statement can also change over time as scientific understanding progresses and new evidence is discovered.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

For all integers y, there is an integer x such that x^2 + x = y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it there exists an integer y such that for all integers x, x^2 + x = y

OR

There exists an integer y such that for all integers x, x^2 + x DOES NOT EQUAL y?

I believe it is the second one but I'm not sure. I'm not trying to actually prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I mistook your answer as a restatement of the question.

Last edited:
I smart a** answer is "It is not the case that, for all integers y, there is an integer x such that x^2 + x = y."

However, your preferred choice, the second one, is correct.

If your first one is true, it could still be the case that the original statement is also true.

Generally, the negation of "if p then q" is "q and not p" (q is true and p is not true).

Your original statement, "For all integers y, there is an integer x such that x^2 + x = y" is the same as "if y is an integer, then there is an integer, x, such that x^2+ x= y" so its negative would be "there exist an integer, y, such that for no integer, x, is it true that x^2+ x= y", which is the same as your second statement.

HallsofIvy said:
Generally, the negation of "if p then q" is "q and not p" (q is true and p is not true).
/QUOTE]

Is not it "p and not q instead"?

ehild

An easy way to tackle these types of problems is to put it in quantifier notation:

"For all integers y, there is an integer x such that x^2 + x = y."

Becomes:

[tex]
(\forall y \in \mathbb{Z})( \exists x\in\mathbb{Z})\backepsilon (x^2+x=y)
[/tex]

Of which the negation is:

[tex]
(\exists y \in \mathbb{Z})( \forall x\in\mathbb{Z})\backepsilon (x^2+x\neq y)
[/tex]

Note: I use /backepsilon for my "such that"; if there is a more common notation for it, I would love to know. :D

Last edited:
DivisionByZro said:
Note: I use /backepsilon for my "such that"; if there is a more common notation for it, I would love to know. :D
Have you seen anyone else using that? :smile:
I always say the colon ":" as "such that". How else could it be pronounced? Okay, "where", also.

[tex]
(\exists y \in \mathbb{Z})( \forall x\in\mathbb{Z}) : (x^2+x\neq y)
[/tex]

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Have you seen anyone else using that? :smile:
I always say the colon ":" as "such that". How else could it be pronounced? Okay, "where", also.

[tex]
(\exists y \in \mathbb{Z})( \forall x\in\mathbb{Z}) : (x^2+x\neq y)
[/tex]

Ah yes, I should probably use either " | " or " : "; from set-builder notation. This makes it less confusing since epsilon already means something different.
And for your question, I've actually seen some people using a backwards epsilon for their "such that". It is odd to see.

ehild said:
HallsofIvy said:

Is not it "p and not q instead"?

ehild
Yes, you are right. How silly of me.

1. What is the negation of this statement?

The negation of a statement is the opposite or contrary of the original statement. It is typically denoted by placing the word "not" in front of the statement or by using the symbol "~". For example, the negation of "The sky is blue" would be "The sky is not blue" or "~(The sky is blue)".

2. How do you write the negation of a statement?

To write the negation of a statement, you can follow the basic rule of placing "not" in front of the statement or using the "~" symbol. However, it is important to also consider the context and logical structure of the statement in order to accurately write the negation. In some cases, it may also be helpful to use logical operators such as "and", "or", or "implies" to form complex negations.

3. Can the negation of a statement be true?

Yes, the negation of a statement can be true. In fact, if the original statement is true, then its negation must be false and vice versa. This is known as the Law of Contradiction in logic and is a fundamental principle in scientific reasoning and problem-solving.

4. How is the negation of a statement used in scientific research?

The negation of a statement is commonly used in scientific research to challenge or disprove a hypothesis or theory. By negating a statement and examining its opposite, scientists can test the validity and robustness of their ideas and conclusions. This process helps to refine and strengthen scientific knowledge and understanding.

5. Can the negation of a statement change over time?

Yes, the negation of a statement can change over time as scientific knowledge and understanding progresses. What may have been considered a valid negation in the past may be disproven or revised in light of new evidence or theories. As such, it is important for scientists to continually question and challenge their assumptions and negations in order to advance scientific understanding.