Maximizing Area: Solving Quadratic Applications with Triangles and Rectangles

In summary, the quadratic equation gives the length and width of the rectangular region. However, the equation doesn't include the area of the roof truss. The solution x = 7 produces the right area for the front of the house.
hackedagainanda
Homework Statement
The front face of a house is in the shape of a rectangle with a Queen post roof truss above. The length of the rectangular region is 3 times the height of the truss. The height of the rectangle is 2 ft more than the height of the truss. If the total area of the front of the house is 336 ft^2 determine the length and the width of the rectangular region
Relevant Equations
Area for rectangle: A = LW
Area for a triangle (1/2)bh
So the top of the structure is a triangle with height x. and the height of the rectangle is 2 + x, and the length is 3x.

I'm unsure where to go from here. I tried using the formula and getting 3x^2 + 6x +x = 3x^2 + 7x -336 =0 I applied the quadratic formula but it gave me non-integer solutions. I may be reading the problem wrong or not getting the right equation from the prompt.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Why do you think the answer needs to be an integer?
EDIT: The following is incorrect. The area given is for the entire side, including the triangle on top.
2) Why are you adding an extra x? All the information is about the length and width of a rectangle and the question asks about the area of the rectangle. I don't see the need for adding another x.
3x(x+2) = 3x^2+6x=336.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
Hmm, @hackedagainanda, isn't your anwer numerically the same as that of @FactChecker? Doesn't 'whatever-336=0' mean the same thing as 'whatever=336'?

hackedagainanda said:
Homework Statement:: The front face of a house is in the shape of a rectangle with a Queen post roof truss above. The length of the rectangular region is 3 times the height of the truss. The height of the rectangle is 2 ft more than the height of the truss. If the total area of the front of the house is 336 ft^2 determine the length and the width of the rectangular region
Relevant Equations:: Area for rectangle: A = LW
Area for a triangle (1/2)bh

3x^2 + 6x +x = 3x^2 + 7x -336 =0
The business of "Queen post roof truss" is a red herring. The only thing important about the truss is its height, which we can call x. The height of the Queen posts (I had to look up "queen post truss") is irrelevant in this problem.
House.png

The equation in the OP does not represent the sum of the rectangular area and the area of the roof truss.
"If the total area of the front of the house is 336 ft^2..."

In my formulation of the problem, there are two integer solutions, one of which is negative.
FactChecker said:
3x(x+2) = 3x^2+6x=336.
This equation is incorrect also, as it doesn't include the area of the truss.
sysprog said:
Doesn't 'whatever-336=0' mean the same thing as 'whatever=336'?
Yes, but the OP and @FactChecker don't have the same equations.

Likes Delta2, FactChecker and sysprog
Mark44 said:
Right, of course, but can't 'whatever' [represent / be substituted for] the lhs of either equation?

Mark44 said:
This equation is incorrect also, as it doesn't include the area of the truss.

Sorry. I stand corrected. I thought that the area of 336 was for the rectangle, but it is not. It is for the entire side, including the triangle on the top.

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:
Right, of course, but can't 'whatever' [represent / be substituted for] the lhs of either equation?
Sure, and this is what I agreed with you on.

Likes sysprog
FactChecker said:
1) Why do you think the answer needs to be an integer?
The other questions in this section usually say round to the nearest tenth, hundreths, etc. when its a non-integer.
Mark44 said:
The business of "Queen post roof truss" is a red herring. The only thing important about the truss is its height, which we can call x. The height of the Queen posts (I had to look up "queen post truss") is irrelevant in this problem.
View attachment 289182
The equation in the OP does not represent the sum of the rectangular area and the area of the roof truss.
"If the total area of the front of the house is 336 ft^2..."

In my formulation of the problem, there are two integer solutions, one of which is negative.

Can I get a hint at formulating the problem?

hackedagainanda said:
Can I get a hint at formulating the problem?
Look at the drawing I posted. In my drawing, x is the height of the truss. what are the dimensions of the rectangular part of the front of the house.

Again, the problem statement says this: "the total area of the front of the house is 336 ft^2..."
The front of the house includes the rectangular part and the area defined by the truss.

The dimensions are 3x(x +2) and the truss is 2 triangles so its x(3x) so its 3x^2 + 3x^2 +6x = 336

Write in standard form and get 6x^2 +6x - 336 = 0 The quadratic formula gets me x = 7, and x = -8

hackedagainanda said:
The dimensions are 3x(x +2) and the truss is 2 triangles so its x(3x) so its 3x^2 + 3x^2 +6x = 336

Write in standard form and get 6x^2 +6x - 336 = 0 The quadratic formula gets me x = 7, and x = -8
Obviously, x = -8 can't be a solution. Does the solution x = 7 produce the right area for the front of the house? You should always check your solution for these types of problems.

Likes hackedagainanda
It does check 3x 7 x (7 +2) = 21 x 9 = 189, + 3(7^2)= 147. 147 + 189 = 336. So the area of the rectangle is 189 ft^2.Thanks for the help, I'll have to remember draw diagrams on the test.

hackedagainanda said:
It does check 3x 7 x (7 +2) = 21 x 9 = 189, + 3(7^2)= 147. 147 + 189 = 336. So the area of the rectangle is 189 ft^2.Thanks for the help, I'll have to remember draw diagrams on the test.
What's the combined area of your two triangles?

SammyS said:
What's the combined area of your two triangles?
147 ft^2

hackedagainanda said:
I'll have to remember draw diagrams on the test.
It's a good idea to draw a diagram for these kinds of problems, whether it's a test or not.

hackedagainanda said:
147 ft^2
So then each triangle has an area of 73.5 ft2.

But with two triangles sitting on top of the rectangle, each would have a base of 21/2 = 10.5 ft and altitude of 7 ft. That gives an area of 73.5/2 =36.75 ft2 for each and a total are of 73.5 ft2 for the two triangles combined.

That does not add up to the required total area of 336 ft2.

SammyS said:
So then each triangle has an area of 73.5 ft2.

But with two triangles sitting on top of the rectangle, each would have a base of 21/2 = 10.5 ft and altitude of 7 ft. That gives an area of 73.5/2 =36.75 ft2 for each and a total are of 73.5 ft2 for the two triangles combined.

That does not add up to the required total area of 336 ft2.
The 189 ft^2 is correct though... Which is the correct answer, but did I get the right answer for the wrong reason?

hackedagainanda said:
The 189 ft^2 is correct though... Which is the correct answer
I don't think so. If 189 sq. ft. is the posted answer, whoever solved the problem is working a different one. I get an area for the rectangle part of the house front of 240 sq. ft.

Is the quadratic 6x^2 + 6x - 336 = 0 the wrong equation?

hackedagainanda said:
Is the quadratic 6x^2 + 6x - 336 = 0 the wrong equation?
Yes, it's wrong.
hackedagainanda said:

You're not very clear regarding the base and height for the triangles.

Start with an individual triangle. What is the expression for the base? What is the expression for the height?

hackedagainanda said:
the truss is 2 triangles so its x(3x)
The width of each triangle being...?

(1/2)x(1.5x) So I get 2(1/2)x(1.5x) so adding the area of the rectangle I get 3x^2 + 6x + 1.5x for a total of
4.5x^2 +6x - 336 = 0. The quadratic formula gets me 8, and - 28/3. The area of each triangle is (1/2)8 x 12 which is 48. The area of each triangle is 48 ft^2 both combined is 96 ft^2 and 96 ft^2 + 240 ft^2 = 336 ft ^2 so the answer checks.

Last edited:
hackedagainanda said:
(1/2)x(1.5x) So I get 2(1/2)x(1.5x) so adding the area of the rectangle I get 3x^2 + 6x + 1.5x for a total of
4.5x +6x - 336 = 0. The quadratic formula gets me 8, and - 28/3. The area of each triangle is (1/2)8 x 12 which is 48. The area of each triangle is 48 ft^2 both combined is 96 ft^2 and 96 ft^2 + 240 ft^2 = 336 ft ^2 so the answer checks.
That's what I get, x = 8. (I didn't bother simplifying the negative solution.)

Small typo in your quadratic equation -- should be ##4.5x^2 + 6x - 336 = 0##.

Likes hackedagainanda
Thanks to everyone for your patience and help!

Likes Delta2 and sysprog

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, base represents the length of the base of the triangle, and height represents the height of the triangle.

2. How do you maximize the area of a triangle?

To maximize the area of a triangle, you must find the maximum value of the area function by using the vertex formula. This formula is -b/2a, where a and b represent the coefficients of the quadratic equation that is formed when finding the area of the triangle.

3. What is the difference between a triangle and a rectangle?

A triangle is a three-sided polygon with three angles, while a rectangle is a four-sided polygon with four right angles. Additionally, the area of a triangle is determined by its base and height, while the area of a rectangle is determined by its length and width.

4. How do you solve quadratic applications with triangles and rectangles?

To solve quadratic applications with triangles and rectangles, you must first set up a quadratic equation using the given information. Then, use the vertex formula to find the maximum value of the area function. Finally, substitute this value into the area formula to find the maximum area.

5. Can you use the same method to maximize the area of any polygon?

No, the method for maximizing the area of a triangle or rectangle only works for shapes with a constant base and height. For other polygons, you may need to use different methods, such as breaking the shape into smaller triangles or using calculus to find the maximum area.