Advanced calculus like Sternberg's but less abstract

In summary, the book does not have a lot of physics in it, and the style is not very friendly. However, if you are looking for a mathematics text or for a methods book suitable for physicists, this book may be what you are looking for.
whyevengothere
I've read Spivak 's calculus so I tried Sternberg 's book,IT IS kind of hard,because the abstraction is put upfront,I know of his other book with Bamberg, but a review on amazon deterred me from buying it,was I right in doing so?
Any adv.Calculus book that have some physics in it like Sternberg's?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Likes 1 person
When I'd like to know if there any advanced calculus book that doesn't adhere to axiomatic methods,is rigorous but with strong appeal to ‘geometric intuition'.

whyevengothere said:
When I'd like to know if there any advanced calculus book that doesn't adhere to axiomatic methods,is rigorous but with strong appeal to ‘geometric intuition'.

You could try this one, it has a ton of exercises and looks at each topic from every angle. It is very mathematical, there is not a lot of explanation, but if you do the exercises, you should get a lot of intuition. Not a lot will be left uncovered.

That said, it is a pretty unfriendly book. Be prepared to put in the effort of doing the problems even if they seem unmotivated. You won't find the perfect book, but this one will satisfy your need for intuition because the problems will give you that encompassing knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716749920/?tag=pfamazon01-20

PS. It doesn't have any physics in it. I can't imagine there is such a book. I mean that it is thorough and doing the exercises in order will be rather exhaustive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, there are some very odd reviews of that book I mentioned. Here is one excerpt:

On almost all the topics, I found that the textbook just did not confer any meaningful understanding. It spends a lot of time on proofs yet at the end of the day it came down to a cookbook-style attack on some standard, uninspiring problems. I had such a bad experience with the material that I concluded that math probably just wasn't for me.
Despite not getting 2nd year calculus at all, I took 3rd year honors real analysis and scored very close to 100%.

This reviewer complains that the book comes down to a cookbook-style attack on problems, and that he struggled to understand things. But clearly the book worked because he aced real analysis afterwards, probably because he had the intuition already from this book. He gives it 1 star out of 5, why I don't know because it clearly helped him.

have you looked at courant's calculus volume 2?

https://archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVol2

mathwonk said:
have you looked at courant's calculus volume 2?

https://archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVol2

I've read his ''what is math?'' and a bit of the first volume of that ,I liked the content,but the writing style was bit weird to me.

Are you looking for a mathematics text or for a methods book suitable for physicists? There is wide variety in things called "advanced calculus".

have you tried apostol vol 2?or maybe the version of courant rewritten by fritz john would suit your tastes better as to style. i.e. courant and john vol. 2 is a rewrite of courant's vol. 2 but in a more modern and standard style.

Last edited:

Related to Advanced calculus like Sternberg's but less abstract

1. What is advanced calculus like Sternberg's?

Advanced calculus like Sternberg's is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and related concepts, such as derivatives and integrals. It builds upon the concepts of basic calculus and is often used in advanced fields like physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is advanced calculus like Sternberg's different from basic calculus?

Advanced calculus, like Sternberg's, builds upon the concepts of basic calculus but delves deeper into more abstract and complex mathematical ideas. It often involves the use of multivariable functions, vector calculus, and differential equations, whereas basic calculus focuses on single-variable functions and their derivatives and integrals.

3. Who is Sternberg and why is his approach to advanced calculus important?

Sternberg is a mathematician known for his contributions to the field of advanced calculus. His approach is important because it offers a more intuitive and geometric perspective on advanced calculus, making it easier for students to understand and apply the concepts.

4. How can I improve my understanding of advanced calculus like Sternberg's?

To improve your understanding of advanced calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus and mathematical concepts. Additionally, actively practicing and solving problems, as well as seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and tutoring can also greatly improve your understanding.

5. What are some real-world applications of advanced calculus like Sternberg's?

Advanced calculus, like Sternberg's, has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as motion, fluid flow, and optimization problems.