In summary, the OP wants to learn the multivariable calculus from a theoretical perspective, but is not really motivated by the current books they've read. Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds may be a good book for him, but he should avoid focusing too much on the theoretical aspects until he has gone over the basics of vector calculus.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum advisers,

Could you recommend books that treat the multivariable calculus from a theoretical aspect (and applications too, if possible)? I have been reading Rudin's PMA and Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, but their treatment of vector calculus is very confusing and not really motivating at all. I unfortunately did not take a Calculus III course, so I am not familiar with the elementary presentation of the calculus of several variables. However, I am very determined to learn it.

I know books like Kaplan, Buck, Loomis/Sternberg, Hubbard/Hubbard, Apostol's Calculus, and Zorich, but I personally never had a chance to look through them. All of them were checked out. Is any of them good for learning the multivariable calculus? By the way, I see many names for "calculus of several variables" in the Tags column: multivariate calculus, multivariable calculus, vector calculus, calculus on manifolds, manifolds analysis, etc. Several of the books I mentioned have title called "Advanced Calculus". Are they same description for studying the multivariable calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds looks good from what I've seen. If it's anything like his regular Calculus, it should be great.

However, I'd avoid really focusing on the theoretical aspects until you've at least gone over the basic mechanics of vector calculus that one would learn in a calculus 3 course.

axmls said:
If it's anything like his regular Calculus, it should be great.

It's actually nothing like his regular calculus book, sadly enough. Calculus on manifolds feels rushed and it lacks motivation. But since the OP is mainly looking for a theoretical source and is already quite familiar with analysis, I think Spivak would be a great book for him.

axmls said:
Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds looks good from what I've seen. If it's anything like his regular Calculus, it should be great.

However, I'd avoid really focusing on the theoretical aspects until you've at least gone over the basic mechanics of vector calculus that one would learn in a calculus 3 course.

Thank you for the advice. Why is it important to learn the basic mechanics of vector calculus before studying the theoretical aspect? I am very curious about that. I did not have a problem jumping to the analysis without strong foot on the Calculus I-II. Do you have any recommendation on a book or source where I can learn the basics of vector calculus?

micromass said:
It's actually nothing like his regular calculus book, sadly enough. Calculus on manifolds feels rushed and it lacks motivation. But since the OP is mainly looking for a theoretical source and is already quite familiar with analysis, I think Spivak would be a great book for him.

I am quite surprised about the thinness of Spivak, however, I do not like the presentation. I was looking for one that treats the multivariate calculus in a comprehensive, detailed level, and one that also connects the ideas to different mathematical topics like geometry and diff. equations. I just briefly went through Loomis/Sternberg and Hubbard/Hubbard, and those books seem good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bacte2013 has asked about vector calculus before. He wanted two books on every subject, his question was what two books to use for vector calculus. He had settled on Lang and possibly Hubbard/Hubbard. I thought they wouldn't compliment each other very well, there would be a lot of overlap. I suggested, since he had settled on Lang (he said wanted to use it), that he might like to have supplementary problems. I was thinking that is surely why he wants two books (as a policy), to have ample problems. And I was confident that Lang would explain everything perfectly well. I therefore suggested Marsden & Tromba for excellent problem coverage. A used copy was not too expensive and I believe he did buy those two books.

I would recommend Colley's Vector Calculus. At JHU it is used for the honors calc iii course, which treats multivariable calculus from a rigorous theoretical standpoint, but still covers all of the basic applications for the math as well.
Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321780655/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a theoretical multivariable calculus book?

A theoretical multivariable calculus book is designed to provide a deep understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of multivariable calculus. It delves into the theoretical foundations of the subject, rather than focusing solely on computational techniques.

2. What topics are typically covered in a theoretical multivariable calculus book?

Topics covered in a theoretical multivariable calculus book may include vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector fields, line and surface integrals, and the theorems of Green, Gauss, and Stokes. It may also cover advanced topics such as differential forms and the generalized Stokes' theorem.

3. Who would benefit from studying a theoretical multivariable calculus book?

Students who are interested in pursuing advanced studies in mathematics or physics would benefit from studying a theoretical multivariable calculus book. It is also beneficial for students who are interested in understanding the underlying principles and applications of multivariable calculus beyond just computational techniques.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying a theoretical multivariable calculus book?

A strong understanding of single variable calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals, is typically required for studying a theoretical multivariable calculus book. Some knowledge of linear algebra and basic geometry may also be helpful.

5. How can I use a theoretical multivariable calculus book in my research or work?

A theoretical multivariable calculus book can serve as a valuable reference for researchers and professionals working in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also help in developing a deeper understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and their applications in real-world problems.