Civil Rights Icon Rosa Parks Dies a 92

• News
  • Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary, Rosa Parks, a civil rights activist, died at the age of 92. Her refusal to give up her seat on a bus to a white man in 1955 sparked a 381-day boycott and led to desegregation of public transportation in Montgomery, Alabama. Despite facing threats and losing her job, she continued to be an influential figure in the civil rights movement. Later in life, she co-founded an institute to help young people and promote racial harmony. Her bravery and determination to stand up for what she believed in will always be remembered.
JamesU
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/24/parks.obit/index.html

(CNN) -- Rosa Parks, whose act of civil disobedience in 1955 inspired the modern civil rights movement, died Monday in Detroit, Michigan. She was 92.

Parks' moment in history began in December 1955 when she refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama.

Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system by blacks that was organized by a 26-year-old Baptist minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (See video on an activist's life and times -- 2:52)

The boycott led to a court ruling desegregating public transportation in Montgomery, but it wasn't until the 1964 Civil Rights Act that all public accommodations nationwide were desegregated.

Facing regular threats and having lost her department store job because of her activism, Parks moved from Alabama to Detroit in 1957. She later joined the staff of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a Michigan Democrat.

Conyers, who first met Parks during the early days of the civil rights struggle, recalled Monday that she worked on his original congressional staff when he first was elected to the House of Representatives in 1964.

"I think that she, as the mother of the new civil rights movement, has left an impact not just on the nation, but on the world," he told CNN in a telephone interview. "She was a real apostle of the nonviolence movement."

He remembered her as someone who never raised her voice -- an eloquent voice of the civil rights movement.

"You treated her with deference because she was so quiet, so serene -- just a very special person," he said, adding that "there was only one" Rosa Parks.

Gregory Reed, a longtime friend and attorney, said Parks died between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. of natural causes. He called Parks "a lady of great courage."

Parks co-founded the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development to help young people pursue educational opportunities, get them registered to vote and work toward racial peace.

"As long as there is unemployment, war, crime and all things that go to the infliction of man's inhumanity to man, regardless -- there is much to be done, and people need to work together," she once said.
(continued)

Physics news on Phys.org
A rare example of a person who sat down for what they believed was right. :biggrin:
It seems so strange to think that the entire history of civil rights since Parks may have been different had she been in a better mood that day. But today we honor a person who broke the law - civil disobedience - because it was the right thing to do; or really, in her case, IIRC, she had simply had enough.

Last edited:
I know of her story and what she did, and I admire her resolve. A 92 is a very good age, and it takes wisdom and luck to get there

Ivan Seeking said:
A rare example of a person who sat down for what they believed was right. :biggrin:
The second time I've spilled my coffee reading these forums.

She was a good lady indeed.

Did you hear Bush's speech honoring her?

He referred to her as "Rosa Park", couldn't even get her name right. Is there nothing that man can't screw up!:mad:

She was very courageous and helped inspire a generation.

She was indeed a great lady. It saddens me to see that we honor people like Rosa Parks, yet in today's society it appears that those who stand up for what they believe in are quickly made a mockery of by the general populace.

92? and I'm already feeling too old and tired! :blushing:
Anyway I hope we'll get rid of any kind of racist forever.

This event should not instill to people that civil disobedience is actually right in ALL cases.

Lisa! said:
92? and I'm already feeling too old and tired! :blushing:
Anyway I hope we'll get rid of any kind of racist forever.
stop whining, you're not old.

and yes, that would be good, wouldn't it?

yomamma said:
stop whining, you're not old.
All right, grandpa. :blushing: I think you get old when you're afraid of making risks and you don't try to fulfill your dreams. :smile:

and yes, that would be good, wouldn't it?
Yep,that would be perfect, but first we need to get rid of stupidity and narrow-mindedness. :wink:

What were Rosa Parks' contributions to the Civil Rights Movement?

Rosa Parks is known as the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement" for her role in sparking the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955. She refused to give up her seat to a white passenger on a segregated bus, leading to her arrest and conviction. This act of civil disobedience sparked a movement that ultimately led to the desegregation of buses in Montgomery and became a symbol of the fight against racial segregation and discrimination.

How did Rosa Parks' death impact the Civil Rights Movement?

Rosa Parks' death in 2005 was a significant loss for the Civil Rights Movement. However, her legacy and impact continue to be felt today. Her death brought renewed attention to the ongoing fight for civil rights and served as a reminder of the sacrifices made by activists like Parks. Her bravery and determination continue to inspire future generations to fight for equality and justice.

What other activism work did Rosa Parks do besides the bus boycott?

While Rosa Parks is most well-known for her role in the Montgomery bus boycott, she was a lifelong civil rights activist. She served as secretary for the Montgomery chapter of the NAACP and worked on numerous cases of racial discrimination. She also participated in the 1963 March on Washington and continued to speak out against injustice and promote equality until her death.

How did Rosa Parks' actions impact the Civil Rights Movement on a larger scale?

Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her seat on the bus sparked a domino effect in the Civil Rights Movement. The Montgomery bus boycott, which lasted for 381 days, drew national attention to the issue of segregation and inspired other boycotts and protests across the country. Parks' actions also inspired other individuals to take a stand against injustice and discrimination, leading to significant progress in the fight for civil rights.

What is the lasting legacy of Rosa Parks?

Rosa Parks' legacy is one of courage, determination, and resilience. Her actions and contributions to the Civil Rights Movement continue to be celebrated and remembered today. She remains an iconic figure in American history and serves as a reminder of the power of one person to spark change and make a lasting impact on society.