Need advice about my engineering schooling

In summary, the speaker, an Electrical Engineering student, is seeking advice on what to do in addition to their degree. They have five potential ideas, including a double major in Physics, a minor in Computer Science and/or Physics, an internship, or learning a second language. They are open to combining these options in various ways, but are looking for advice on what would be most beneficial. Some advice they have received includes the recommendation to prioritize gaining real-world experience through internships over pursuing multiple degrees. The speaker has also posted this question on a forum for additional input.
pete5383
Hey everyone! I'm an Electrical Engineering student, just finished up my first year of college, and I need some advice about what to do.

I have some extra classes for my next three years, and I have some ideas about what might be good ideas. Here are the five ideas I have of what to do in addition to my EE degree:

Physics double major.
Computer science minor, physics minor, two years of a internship, or a second language (thinking maybe Japanes?)

I could to two minors, one minor and the intership, one minor and the second language, or internship and a language. Or I could just got one double major in physics. Anybody have good advice as towards what I should do? Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you'e going to get a lot of varied responses here. Personally I am of the opinion that minors aren't really worth the time. If you can work it in, an internship will be some valuable experince that you should try to get. In your position, you will most likely have a standard college student's resume, which isn't much. You can stand out from the masses by getting some "real world" time. It will only benefit you in the long run. Double majors are nice, but I would not sacrifice a chance at real experience to get the extra degree.

1. What is the best engineering major to choose?

Choosing an engineering major depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. It is advisable to research different engineering disciplines and consider which ones align with your strengths and passions. Additionally, you may want to explore the job market and see which fields have a high demand for engineers.

2. How can I balance my engineering coursework with other responsibilities?

Engineering coursework can be demanding, but effective time management and organization skills can help you balance it with other responsibilities. Make a schedule, prioritize tasks, and avoid procrastination. It is also helpful to communicate with your professors and seek support from classmates.

3. Is it necessary to participate in internships or co-op programs during my engineering education?

Participating in internships or co-op programs during your engineering education can provide valuable hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and insight into the industry. However, it is not necessary, and you can still succeed in your career without them. It ultimately depends on your personal goals and circumstances.

4. How can I excel in my engineering courses?

To excel in your engineering courses, it is essential to attend lectures, participate in class discussions, and ask questions. Additionally, practice problems and seek help when needed. Building a strong understanding of the fundamentals and being persistent in your studies can also help you excel in your courses.

5. What resources are available to help me with my engineering coursework?

There are many resources available to help with your engineering coursework, such as tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors. Your university may also have engineering-specific support centers or online resources. Don't hesitate to reach out for help when you need it.