Solving Battery & Current Homework Problem: V, i, R, Power, Energy

In summary: I need to find the power of the battery, so I'll need to use the voltages and resistances that I have. Thanks for your help!In summary, the current in Fig. 27-40 is 8.64 ohms, the power of the 18 V battery is 8.64 watts, the power of the 10 V battery is 2.16 watts, and the power of the 5.0 V battery is 0.48 watts.
Zonda

Homework Statement

Please help!:confused:

My problem is: (with figure attached, the figure explains the majority of the ptorblem)
(a) What is the size and direction of current i1 in Fig. 27-40, where each resistance is 2.2 and V1 = 18 V?

(b) What is the power of the 18 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

(c) What is the power of the 10 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

(d) What is the power of the 5.0 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

Homework Equations

V=iR

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I'm having trouble firguring out which resistances to use. Do I use all of the resistances and add them up according to whether they are parallel or perpendicular? Then, when I get the resistance that I need, do I just use the 10 V battery as my voltage to calculate the current? I tried adding all of the resistances and I got 8.64 ohms. Is this correct?

For part (b) I need to know again what resistance to use to calculate the current, which I would need to calculate power. If I can get some help on (b), I can probably do (c) and (d) by myself.

Attachments

• W0625-Nalt.jpg
    W0625-Nalt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the best place to start such problems is to compute your lump resistances together whenever possible using the rules for addition in series and parallel. Then redraw the diagram with these. In this case you should end up with three R's and three voltages. Then one can start to develop some meaningful equations which will answer all of the above questions. Out of curiosity, what course is this for?

This is for Physics II. I understand how to lump the resistances together, i.e. parrallel and perpendicular. However, I am not sure how to calculate the amps. For example, for the left side, do I take the 5 volts and divide it by 0.88 ohms and then add that to 10 volts divided by 3.3 ohms (the resistance at the bottom left and bottom of the picture?

Nevermind. I figured out the problem.

What is the formula for calculating voltage?

The formula for calculating voltage is V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

How do you calculate current?

To calculate current, use the formula I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.

What is the relationship between power and voltage?

The relationship between power and voltage is given by the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This means that as voltage increases, power also increases.

What is the difference between energy and power?

Energy is the amount of work that can be done by a system, while power is the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. In other words, energy is a measure of how much work can be done, while power is a measure of how quickly that work can be done.

What units are used to measure power and energy?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), while energy is measured in joules (J). However, in some situations, other units such as kilowatts (kW) or kilojoules (kJ) may be used.