Is there a chemistry book that you would recommend

In summary, the speaker is currently taking AP Chemistry and is struggling with the math portions. They also have a Princeton review book but find that their teacher focuses on memorization. The speaker wonders if this is how chemistry is supposed to be and asks for a recommendation on a chemistry book. The expert summarizer explains that most AP Chemistry classes involve a lot of memorization, but suggests a book by Linus Pauling for a deeper understanding of the subject. However, this book may not be as helpful for the AP exam. A link is provided for more information.
roym6
I am currently taking AP Chemistry in high school but I need help. The textbook we are using is the 8th edition of Chemistry by Thomson. however I find that it doesn't explain the math portions very good and is more about memorizing. I also have the Princeton review book on chemistry. Our teacher is also about memorizing. is this how chemistry is supposed to be? memorizing only? is there a chemistry book that you would recommend? thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am very sorry to tell you, but the curricula of most AP Chemistry classes involves a lot of memorization. It is not as bad as, say, biology, but it is a lot less nice than physics.

However, if you sincerely like chemistry and know calculus, you may find that many of the formulas you use can be reasoned through using mathematics. That is, if you are very comfortable with differentiation and integration, I would strongly recommend General Chemistry by Linus Pauling, a Nobel Laurette. In it, very little is taken for granted. It may give you that deep understanding of chemistry you crave; however, it may not be too helpful for the AP examination.

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486656225.html

What is the best chemistry book for beginners?

The best chemistry book for beginners would depend on your specific learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore, and "Chemistry Essentials for Dummies" by John T. Moore and Richard H. Langley.

What is the most comprehensive chemistry textbook?

The most comprehensive chemistry textbook would also vary based on individual preferences. However, some widely used and highly recommended options include "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Herring, Madura, and Bissonnette, "Chemistry" by Raymond Chang, and "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" by Martin Silberberg.

Are there any good online resources for studying chemistry?

Yes, there are many great online resources for studying chemistry. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Chemguide, and Chem LibreTexts. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions offer online chemistry courses and materials for self-study.

What are the key topics covered in a standard chemistry book?

A standard chemistry book typically covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, states of matter, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, acids and bases, thermodynamics, and kinetics. It may also include sections on organic and inorganic chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental chemistry.

Are there any chemistry books specifically designed for high school students?

Yes, there are many chemistry books specifically designed for high school students. Some popular options include "Chemistry: Concepts and Problems" by Clifford C. Houk and Richard Post, "Chemistry for the Gifted and Talented: Chemistry for the Gifted and Talented" by John T. Moore and Conrad L. Stanitski, and "Chemistry for High School Students" by Robert Farber.