Recommendations for a basic Astronomy textbook

In summary, a high school Physics teacher with 18 years of experience has been asked to teach an Astronomy course but has never taken a course in the subject. They are looking for an undergraduate-level survey textbook to read over the summer to familiarize themselves with the basics. They clarify that they are not looking for high school level textbooks for their students, as they cannot afford them. A suggestion is made to check out openstax.org, which offers a free ebook on Astronomy. The teacher expresses gratitude for the recommendation.
Greg Craven
Summary: Looking for a textbook to bring a high school Physics teacher up to speed on basic astronomy.

I've been teaching high school Physics and Chemistry for 18 years. I've been tapped to teach an Astronomy course next year, despite never having taken an actual astronomy course. Given the demographics of my school, it won't be a highly rigorous course.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a good undergraduate-level survey text on Astronomy for me to read over the summer that will give me the basics. To be clear, I am not looking for recommendations for a high school level textbooks for my students. We don't have the money for textbooks for the class, so I'll be taking over the retiring teacher's cobbled-together curriculum.

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Checkout openstax.org. They have a good free astro ebook.
I'd never heard of Openstax.org, but it sounds like an amazing project. Thanks for the tip!

Likes berkeman

1. What topics should be covered in a basic Astronomy textbook?

The topics that should be covered in a basic Astronomy textbook include the history of astronomy, the solar system, stars and galaxies, the universe, and modern developments in astronomy. It should also cover basic concepts such as gravity, light, and motion.

2. What level of difficulty should a basic Astronomy textbook be written for?

A basic Astronomy textbook should be written at a level that is accessible to high school or introductory college students. It should assume no prior knowledge of astronomy and should use simple language and explanations.

3. Are there any recommended resources or tools that should be included in a basic Astronomy textbook?

Yes, a basic Astronomy textbook should include diagrams, images, and interactive online resources to help students visualize and understand the concepts being taught. It should also include links to relevant websites and online simulations.

4. How often should a basic Astronomy textbook be updated?

A basic Astronomy textbook should be updated every few years to reflect new discoveries and developments in the field. However, the core concepts and principles should remain the same.

5. Is there a specific format or structure that a basic Astronomy textbook should follow?

There is no specific format or structure that a basic Astronomy textbook should follow, as long as it covers all the necessary topics and is written in a clear and organized manner. However, including review questions and exercises at the end of each chapter can be helpful for students.