How Does Avogadro's Number Impact Molar Mass Calculations?

In summary, molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule. It is important in chemistry for determining the number of particles present and for various calculations. The unit of molar mass is grams per mole (g/mol). Additionally, molar mass can be used to convert between moles and grams using the formula: moles = mass/molar mass.
mystmyst

Homework Statement

I only have a question on the calculation, so I won't even give the question...
My book says

[tex](0.5877 \times 10^{-23} \:g) \times (6.022 \times 10^{-23} \: mol^{-1} )= 35.45 \: g \cdot mol^{-1}[/tex]

According to my calculator [tex](0.5877 \times 10^{-23} \:g) \times (6.022 \times 10^{-23} \: mol^{-1})= 3.545 \times 10^{-46} \: g \cdot mol^{-1}[/tex]

How did they get rid of the [tex]10^{-46}[/tex] sign??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an error in the expression, should be 6.022x1023, not 6.022x10-23. This is the Avogadro's number.

--

1. What is molar mass in chemistry?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, which is a unit used to measure an amount of a chemical substance.

2. How do you calculate molar mass?

Molar mass can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule.

3. Why is molar mass important in chemistry?

Molar mass is important in chemistry because it helps to determine the number of particles present in a substance and is necessary for various calculations, such as determining the concentration of a solution.

4. What is the unit of molar mass?

The unit of molar mass is grams per mole (g/mol).

5. Can molar mass be used to convert between moles and grams?

Yes, molar mass can be used to convert between moles and grams by using the formula: moles = mass/molar mass.