Partial fractions and singularity point

In summary: I hope that helps.In summary, partial fractions are used to decompose a function into the sum of two other functions. This is done by finding the values of A and B, which can be determined by taking the limit of the function at its singularity points. While some may argue that using these points is not valid, the definition of limit allows for this method to be used.
fred3142
Hi,

I have a question regarding partial fractions. One of my Math lecturers said that to find partial fraction, we are actually finding the singularity points. I don't understand what happens at a singularity point that allows us to decompose a function into the sum of two other functions. How does taking the limit of a function as it approaches a singularity point help us find the partial fractions. I've looked at graphs of functions to try and understand it, but I don't see it.

I have been wondering this for a while now and some help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gosh, those are a lot of big words for a simple concept! If I want to write, say,
[tex]\frac{3x- 2}{(x- 1)(x- 2)}[/tex]
as "partial fractions" I write
[tex]\frac{3x- 2}{(x- 1)(x- 2)}= \frac{A}{x- 1}+ \frac{B}{x- 2}[/tex]
and multiply both sides by (x-1)(x- 2) to get
[tex]3x- 2= A(x- 2)+ B(x- 1)[/tex]

There are now any number of ways of determining what A and B are:
a) multiply out 3x- 2= (A+ B)x+ (-2A- B) and set like coefficients equal
b) Choose any two values of x to get two equations for A and B
b') Specifically choose x= 2, and x= 1 because they make the equations very simple: if x= 1, 3- 2= 1= -A and if x= 2, 6- 2= 4= B- the equations are separated.

Now, if we want to be very pedantic, we could object that the original expression does not exist at x= 1 and x= 2 so we should not use those numbers. But that is the same as objecting that, say, [itex](x^2- 4)/(x- 2)= x+ 2[/itex] is not true for x= 2, where the left side is "undetermined" because both numerator and denominator are 0. Any good teacher should point that out- repeatedly! But then note that the definition of limit does not require the value of the function at the target point. To take the limit of [itex](x^2- 4)/(x- 2)[/itex] at x= 2, we can take the limit as x goes to 2.

And finding the values of A and B, we are, essentially, taking the limit, we can, after multiplying by x- 1 and x- 2, set x= 1 and x= 2.

1. What are partial fractions and why are they important in mathematics?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to simplify complex algebraic expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable fractions. They are important because they allow us to solve equations and integrate functions that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

2. How do you identify a singularity point in a partial fraction?

A singularity point is a value of the variable in a partial fraction where the denominator of one or more fractions becomes zero. To identify a singularity point, set the denominator of each fraction equal to zero and solve for the variable. The values obtained will be the singularity points.

3. Can a partial fraction have more than one singularity point?

Yes, a partial fraction can have multiple singularity points. This can happen when there are multiple fractions in the expression and each one has a different denominator.

4. How do you handle a singularity point in a partial fraction?

If the singularity point is a real number, it can be handled by using a different method, such as integration by parts or substitution. However, if the singularity point is a complex number, it may require more advanced techniques to solve the partial fraction.

5. Can partial fractions be used in real-life applications?

Yes, partial fractions have many real-life applications, particularly in engineering and physics. They are commonly used to solve differential equations and to analyze the behavior of complex systems. They can also be used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of mathematics and science.