Using Residues (Complex Analysis) to compute partial fractions

In summary, to compute the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function, one can use the method of setting z = 0 and z = 1 to find the constants. In the case of multiple roots, one can use residue theory to find the constants B1 and B2. Additionally, the Laurent series of the function about the root can also be used to find the residue.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
How to compute partial fractions decompose when one the factors is a root of multiplicity in the residue method?
Dear Everybody, I am wondering how to compute the partial fraction decomposition of the following rational function: ##f(z)=\frac{z+2}{(z+1)^2(z^2+1)}.##

I understand how to do the simple poles of the function and how it is related to the decomposition's constants, i.e. ##f(z)=\frac{A_1}{z+i}+\frac{A_2}{z-i}+\frac{B_1}{z+1}+\frac{B_2}{(z+1)^2}##. Thus, I know that ##A_1=-\frac{i+2}{4}## and ##A_2=-\frac{-i+2}{4}.## But how do I computes double pole in terms of the residue, if possible? How I can write out ##B_1, B_2.##

Physics news on Phys.org
Setting [itex]z = 0[/itex] gives [tex]
2 = i(A_2 - A_1) + B_1 + B_2.[/tex] Setting [itex]z = 1[/itex] gives [tex]
\frac 38 = \frac{A_1 + A_2 + i(A_2-A_1)}{2} + \frac {B_1}2 + \frac{B_2}4.[/tex] Once [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex] are known, this system can be solved for [itex]B_1[/itex] and [itex]B_2[/itex].

Likes cbarker1
pasmith said:
Setting [itex]z = 0[/itex] gives [tex]
2 = i(A_2 - A_1) + B_1 + B_2.[/tex] Setting [itex]z = 1[/itex] gives [tex]
\frac 38 = \frac{A_1 + A_2 + i(A_2-A_1)}{2} + \frac {B_1}2 + \frac{B_2}4.[/tex] Once [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex] are known, this system can be solved for [itex]B_1[/itex] and [itex]B_2[/itex].

ok. thanks for your input. But, I think you may not answer my question because I am wondering how to do the partial fraction decomposition with respect to residue theory in complex analysis the multiple roots case?

For ##B_2##, define

\begin{align*}
g(z) = (z+1) f(z)
\end{align*}

Then

\begin{align*}
\text{Res} [g(z_0=-1)] = \text{Res} [\frac{B_2}{z+1}] = B_2
\end{align*}

You understand why:

\begin{align*}
\text{Res} [f(z_0=-1)] = \text{Res} [\frac{B_1}{z+1}] = B_1 ?
\end{align*}

where you would use the general formula for the residue of an ##nth-##order pole

\begin{align*}
\text{Res} [f(z_0)] = \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} \left( \dfrac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}} [(z-z_0)^n f(z)] \right) .
\end{align*}

Are you sure your answers to ##A_1## and ##A_2## are right? So you are equating

\begin{align*}
\text{Res} [f(z_0=-i)] = \text{Res} [\frac{A_1}{z+i}] = A_1
\end{align*}

and then using

\begin{align*}
\text{Res} [f(z_0=-i)] = \lim_{z \rightarrow -i} [(z+i) f(z)]
\end{align*}

but I get ##A_1 = - \dfrac{-i+2}{4}##.

Last edited:
cbarker1 said:
ok. thanks for your input. But, I think you may not answer my question because I am wondering how to do the partial fraction decomposition with respect to residue theory in complex analysis the multiple roots case?

I was led astray by your statement [tex]
f(z) = \frac{A_1}{z + i} + \frac{A_2}{z-i} + \frac{B_1}{z+1} + \frac{B_2}{(z + 1)^2}[/tex] and therefore assumed you meant a partial fraction decomposition. But you meant to calculate the residue of [itex]f[/itex] at -1 instead. A function has only one residue at a root of its denominator, regardless of the multiplicity of that root.

But to compute the Laurent series of [itex]f[/itex] about [itex]-1[/itex] is fairly straightforward, if you do not know the formula quoted by @julian: [tex]
\begin{split}
f(z) &= \frac{z + 2}{(z+1)^2(z^2+1)} \\
&= \frac{(z + 1) + 1}{(z+1)^2(z^2+1)} \\
&=\frac{1}{z^2 + 1}\left(\frac1{(z+1)} + \frac{1}{(z+1)^2}\right).
\end{split}[/tex] The common factor [itex]g(z) = (z^2 + 1)^{-1}[/itex] is analytic at [itex]z = -1[/itex], so it has a Taylor series which converges in some open neighbourhood of it. So [tex]\begin{split}
f(z) &= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{g^{(n)}(-1)(z + 1)^n}{n!}\left(\frac1{(z+1)} + \frac{1}{(z+1)^2}\right) \\
&= \frac{g(-1)}{(z + 1)^2} + \sum_{n=-1}^\infty\left(\frac{g^{(n+1)}(-1)}{(n+1)!} +
\frac{g^{(n+2)}(-1)}{(n+2)!}\right)(z + 1)^n
\end{split}[/tex] and the residue is [itex]g(-1) + g'(-1)[/itex].

1. What is the purpose of using residues in complex analysis to compute partial fractions?

The purpose of using residues is to simplify the process of computing partial fractions by using complex analysis techniques. This allows for the decomposition of a rational function into simpler fractions, which can then be integrated more easily.

2. How do you find the residues of a rational function?

The residues of a rational function can be found by first factoring the denominator of the function and then using the formula for residues, which involves evaluating the function at the poles (roots of the denominator). The residue at a pole can be calculated by taking the limit of the function as the pole is approached.

3. Can residues be used to compute partial fractions for any rational function?

Yes, residues can be used to compute partial fractions for any rational function, as long as the function has a finite number of poles. If the function has infinitely many poles, then other techniques such as the Cauchy residue theorem may need to be used.

4. Are there any limitations to using residues to compute partial fractions?

One limitation is that the function must have a finite number of poles in order for residues to be used. Additionally, the function must be analytic (differentiable) at all points except for the poles. If these conditions are not met, then other methods may need to be used to compute partial fractions.

5. How can using residues to compute partial fractions be applied in real-world situations?

Residues and partial fractions are commonly used in engineering and physics applications, such as in signal processing and control systems. They can also be used in solving differential equations and in calculating complex integrals. In general, they are useful for simplifying calculations and solving problems involving rational functions.