What Preparatory Books Can Lead to Understanding Landau and Lifshitz?

In summary, the individual is looking for a book or set of books to lead them into reading "Landau and Lifgarbagez" in physics, but their current knowledge is scattered and only includes bits and pieces about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. They mention having Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences by Boas and Mathematics of Classical and Quantum mechanics by Byron, but are still searching for additional resources. They also mention finding enlightenment in The Feynman Lectures on Physics and question the relevance of books from the 1960s.
genericusrnme
Hey

I want to start reading and learning from Landau and Lifgarbagez but my physics isn't quite up to that level. Now, I'm fully self taught at the moment so what I do know of physics is pretty scattered - I know bits and pieces about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics but the material presented in Landau and Lifgarbagez is still too advanced I feel, so what I'm looking for is a book or set of books that will lead me into Landau and Lifgarbagez.
Right now, my mathematical knowledge is roughlt the contents of Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences by Boas and Mathematics of Classical and Quantum mechanics by Byron along with some other stuff buts and pieces I've picked up along the way.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I had your urge to read Landau and Lifgarbagez in my 20's and got a few of their books with the intention of mastering them. It never happened.

I did find a lot of enlightenment in The Feynman Lectures on Physics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics
Feynman had a talent for explaining things and the crucial different viewpoint that makes the lectures very different from textbooks.

Are 1960's books still relevant? Well, do you understand Quantum Mechanics from reading the current books?

1. What types of books do you recommend?

Book recommendations can vary greatly depending on personal taste and interests. However, I often recommend non-fiction books in the fields of psychology, neuroscience, and biology. These genres offer valuable insights and information for both scientists and non-scientists.

2. Can you recommend any specific books for beginners in a certain field?

Absolutely! If you are just starting to explore a new field, I suggest reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking for an introduction to astrophysics, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins for evolutionary biology, and "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman for psychology.

3. How do you decide which books to recommend?

I base my recommendations on a combination of personal experience, reviews from trusted sources, and the overall impact and relevance of the book in the scientific community. I also take into consideration the writing style and accessibility of the book for a general audience.

4. Are there any books that have had a significant impact on your own work as a scientist?

There are many books that have influenced my work, but one that stands out is "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks. This book delves into fascinating case studies in neuroscience and has helped shape my understanding of the human brain and behavior.

5. Do you have any recommendations for fiction books that incorporate scientific concepts?

Yes, there are some great fiction books that incorporate scientific concepts in a creative and engaging way. Some examples include "The Martian" by Andy Weir for space exploration and survival, "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton for genetics and bioengineering, and "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley for ethical considerations in science and technology.