Complex Fourier Transform & Its Inverse (also Dcontour integrals)

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x) and its complex Fourier Transform, F(k). The inverse transform is verified using a D-contour integral, with a focus on the x>0 case. The residues at certain values of k are calculated and a minor algebraic error is discovered. The conversation ends with a note of gratitude and the realization that taking a break can help with problem-solving.
MathematicalPhysics
For the function [tex]f(x)[/tex] given by:
[tex]f(x) = e^{2x} (x<0), = e^{-x} (x>0)[/tex]
I have got the complex Fourier Transform to be:
[tex] F(k) = {3(k^{2} + ik + 2)}/{(k^{2}+1)(k^{2} + 4)}[/tex]
Now I'm trying to verify the formula for the inverse transform by using a D-contour integral. Just taking the x>0 case I have found the strip of regularity and am closing the D- contour below (to avoid the exponential exploding).
Closing the contour below gives 3 poles in the contour, namely:
[tex]k=i,-i,-2i[/tex]
I have "argued away" the curve of the Dcontour okay.
So now computing the sum of the residues and multiplying by (-2pi i) should give me back:
[tex]f(x) = e^{-x}[/tex]
The residues at k= i and k= -2i are zero so just working on k= -i:
[tex]res = {3(k^{2}+ik+2)e^{-ikx}}/{4k^{3} + 10k}[/tex]
I got this by just differentiating bottom line (trick for getting formula for res)
when k = -i this gives:
[tex]res = {-2e^{-x}}/(i)[/tex]
multiplying by (-2pi i) and dividing by 2pi (according to inv transform formula) gives..
[tex]f(x) = 2e^{-x}[/tex]
why have I got that 2?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you back up a step, your transform is

[tex]F(k) = \frac {3}{(k + i ) (k - 2i)}[/tex]

which gives the correct inverse transform so you have made an algebraic error using the "rationalized" form.

Incidentally, when you close the contour in the lower half plane you don't encounter the pole at k = i at all.

Thanks Tide.

I made an error in squaring -i! All that work and I just couldn't see my mistake at all.

Sleeping on it helped alot!

Thanks again.

1. What is a Complex Fourier Transform?

A Complex Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a time-domain signal into a frequency-domain signal, allowing for analysis of the signal's frequency components.

2. What is the Inverse Complex Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Complex Fourier Transform is the opposite operation of the Complex Fourier Transform. It takes a frequency-domain signal and converts it back into a time-domain signal, allowing for reconstruction of the original function.

3. What are the applications of Complex Fourier Transform?

The Complex Fourier Transform has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to analyze and filter signals, compress images, and extract features from data.

4. How is the Complex Fourier Transform calculated?

The Complex Fourier Transform is calculated using an integral over a contour in the complex plane. The contour can be a straight line or a closed curve, and the integral is evaluated using the Cauchy Residue Theorem.

5. What is the significance of the Dcontour integrals in Complex Fourier Transform?

The Dcontour integrals allow for the evaluation of the Complex Fourier Transform using a closed-form solution. This makes the calculation more efficient and less computationally intensive compared to using other methods, such as the definition of the Fourier Transform.