Invert a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors

In summary, the second equation in the summary is saying that the coefficient of the negative term is the same as the coefficient of the positive term.
AndrewGRQTF
I am having trouble following a step in a book. So we are given that $$\varphi (x) = \int \frac {d^3k}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega} [a(\textbf{k})e^{ikx} + a^*(\textbf{k})e^{-ikx}] $$
where the k in the measure is the spatial (vector) part of the four-momentum k=(##\omega##,##\textbf{k}##) and the k in the exponentials is the four-momentum. Note that ##x = (t,\textbf{x})## and that ##kx## = ##k^\mu x_\mu = -\omega t + \textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{x} ##.

After applying ##\int d^3x e^{-ikx}## to both sides, my book says that we get
$$\int d^3x e^{-ikx} \varphi (x) = \frac{1}{2\omega} a(\textbf{k}) + \frac {1}{2\omega} e^{2i\omega t}a^*(-\textbf{k})$$
$$\int d^3x e^{-ikx} \frac {\partial}{\partial t}\varphi (x) = \frac{-i}{2} a(\textbf{k}) + \frac {i}{2} e^{2i\omega t}a^*(-\textbf{k})$$

My question is: where does the ##e^{2i\omega t}## on the right side of the last two equations come from? The result I get has no ##e^{2i\omega t}##.

Also, can someone tell me how the positive/negative signs work in Fourier transforms? Like, if I instead applied ##\int d^3x e^{ikx}## to both sides I would get rid of the integration on the right, so isn't that also inversion of the transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think I can answer the first question. If I expand: [itex] [a(\vec{k})e^{ikx}+a^∗(\vec{k})e^{−ikx}][/itex], I get: [itex] [a(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}e^{-i \omega t}+a^∗(\vec{k})e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}e^{i \omega t}][/itex]. When I multiply this by [itex] e^{i \omega t}[/itex], the first term has no t dependence, and the second term has a factor of [itex] e^{2 i \omega t}[/itex].

Likes AndrewGRQTF
phyzguy said:
Well, I think I can answer the first question. If I expand: [itex] [a(\vec{k})e^{ikx}+a^∗(\vec{k})e^{−ikx}][/itex], I get: [itex] [a(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}e^{-i \omega t}+a^∗(\vec{k})e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{x}}e^{i \omega t}][/itex]. When I multiply this by [itex] e^{i \omega t}[/itex], the first term has no t dependence, and the second term has a factor of [itex] e^{2 i \omega t}[/itex].

So when changing the dummy integration variable in the first equation, we change the ##\textbf{k}## to another variable but keep ##\omega## the same because it is not an integration variable?

phyzguy said:
I now understand my mistake. I was using the same letter for two things, and that was the source of my miscalculation.

Thank you.

1. How is a 3D Fourier transform related to 4-vectors?

A 3D Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of three variables (such as position in space) into a function of three wave numbers (such as frequency or momentum). 4-vectors are mathematical objects that describe the position and momentum of a particle in special relativity. In physics, 4-vectors are often used to represent the position and momentum of particles in four-dimensional spacetime, which is why they are related to 3D Fourier transforms.

2. What is the purpose of inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors?

The purpose of inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors is to transform the function of three wave numbers back into a function of three variables. This allows us to analyze the position and momentum of particles in four-dimensional spacetime, which is important in many areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. What are the challenges in inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors?

The main challenge in inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors is that it involves complex mathematical operations and calculations. Additionally, the inverse transform may not always exist or may not be unique, which can make the process more challenging.

4. How is the inverse 3D Fourier transform used in practical applications involving 4-vectors?

The inverse 3D Fourier transform is used in practical applications involving 4-vectors to analyze and model physical phenomena. For example, in quantum mechanics, the wave function of a particle can be represented as a 3D Fourier transform, and the inverse transform is used to calculate the probability distribution of the particle's position and momentum.

5. Are there any alternative methods to inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors?

Yes, there are alternative methods to inverting a 3D Fourier transform when dealing with 4-vectors. One approach is to use numerical methods, such as the Fast Fourier Transform algorithm, which can efficiently calculate the inverse transform. Another approach is to use integral transforms, such as the Laplace transform, which can also be used to invert 3D Fourier transforms in certain cases.