Solving Complex Numbers: How Does 1 + i Equal √2?

In summary, a complex number can be expressed in the form a+bi, where a and b represent the real and imaginary components, respectively. The complex number 1 + i can also be expressed as √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4) or in terms of an Argand Plane with coordinates (1,1). The modulus of this complex number is √2 and the angle it makes with the real axis is π/4.
craig100
Hello guys;
I'm after a bit of help here, I may have missed something completely obvious, but I can't seem to figure out the working of:

1 + i = √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)

ie; How does 1 + i equal √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)??

any help would be appreciated;
Thanks
Craig :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
craig100 said:
1 + i = √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)

ie; How does 1 + i equal √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)??

what do these litle squares stand for? what are those symbols, what do they represent??

sutupidmath said:
what do these litle squares stand for? what are those symbols, what do they represent??
I'm glad that I'm not the only seeing those squares. :biggrin: Some problem with fonts, I suppose.

Sorry, I guess you don't have those fonts installed on your system...i'll put it a different way;

1 + i = root(2) . (cos(pi/4) + i.sin(pi/4))

pi ...being pi(3.14...) :P

so my question is how does (1 + i) equal the value above?

I hope that's clearer?

Any complex number can be expressed in the form a+bi.

In this case, a=1 and b=1.
Complex numbers can be expressed in the following form:
[tex]r(\cos x + i\sin x)[/tex] where [itex]r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex] and x is arctan (b/a). Anything you don't understand or want more info on I am right here.

Ok picture a plane where one unit on the y-axis is 1 unit on the imaginaries, or x units "up" is xi. And the x-axis is just the real number line. So to denote a+bi, we would have a point that is a units from the origin to the right, and b units up. Or co ordinates, (a,b).

Craig,
Plot the complex number on an Argand Plane. Find it's real and imaginary components in terms of the angle it makes with the real axis, and it's modulus.

Yup what neutrino said :D

ahh, thanks guys...its been a while since I have done complex numbers, I understand it now :smile:, thanks for the quick and informative replies.

Craig :biggrin:

FAQ: Solving Complex Numbers: How Does 1 + i Equal √2?

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that include both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. In this form, a is known as the real coefficient and bi is known as the imaginary coefficient.

How can 1 + i equal √2?

1 + i cannot equal √2 because they are not equal in value. However, they are considered equal in the sense that they represent the same complex number. This is because 1 + i can be written as √2(cos(π/4) + i sin(π/4)), and √2(cos(π/4) + i sin(π/4)) is the polar form of the complex number √2 + i. So while they may look different, they represent the same number on the complex plane.

How can complex numbers be solved?

Complex numbers can be solved using various operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are similar to those used with real numbers, but there are some additional rules to follow when working with imaginary numbers. For example, when multiplying two complex numbers, you must use the FOIL method and remember that i^2 = -1.

Why do we use complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to represent values that cannot be represented on the real number line. They are especially useful in solving mathematical equations and problems involving electricity, physics, and engineering. They also have many applications in the fields of science and technology.

Is it possible to graph complex numbers?

Yes, it is possible to graph complex numbers on the complex plane. The real part of the complex number represents the x-coordinate, while the imaginary part represents the y-coordinate. This allows us to visualize complex numbers and perform operations on them more easily.