S10.03.25 Write complex number in rectangular form

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a complex number in rectangular form. The unit circle is used to determine the values of cosine and sine, and distributing a factor of 4 gives the answer of $2\sqrt2+2\sqrt2i$. However, the book's answer is $2\sqrt2-2\sqrt2i$ and the person is confused about the use of $i$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s10.03.25}$
$\textsf{Write complex number in rectangular form}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
z&=4\left[\cos\frac{7\pi}{4} + i\sin \frac{7\pi}{4} \right]\\
\end{align*}
$\textit{ok from the unit circle: $\displaystyle\cos{\left(\frac{7\pi}{4}\right)}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$}\\$
$\textit{and it appears distributing in 4 gives the answer}\\$
$\textit{but isn't the purpose of this to deal with powers?}\\$

$\textit{book answer} =2\sqrt{2}+2\sqrt{2}i$

$\textit{however $W|A$ returned $-1$ ??}$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$\sin\left(\frac{7\pi}{4}\right)=-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}$$

The correct answer is $2\sqrt2-2\sqrt2i$.

Double-check what you entered into W|A.

ok the $i$ confuses me:confused:

It is merely the coefficient of the sine function. Why are you confused? Because $i=\sqrt{-1}$?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit, i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

2. What is the rectangular form of a complex number?

The rectangular form of a complex number is written as a + bi, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. This form is also known as the standard form.

3. How do you convert a complex number to rectangular form?

To convert a complex number to rectangular form, you can use the formula a + bi = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the absolute value of the complex number and θ is the angle in radians between the positive real axis and the complex number plotted on the complex plane.

4. Can a complex number be written in more than one rectangular form?

No, a complex number has only one rectangular form. However, the same complex number can be written in different forms such as polar form, exponential form, or trigonometric form.

5. How do you perform operations on complex numbers in rectangular form?

To add or subtract complex numbers in rectangular form, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) or the polar form. To divide complex numbers, you can use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part.