Wow So many steps to start a business

• Thread starter thakid87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Business
In summary, you will need to fill out forms for incorporation, shop leases, business permits, and professional licensing.
thakid87
I would like to get a business started by year's end, but Christ. I'm going crazy looking at all these forms I have to fill out, and I'm not sure these are all the ones I need.

I'm going to pull my hair out...

Physics news on Phys.org
thakid87 said:
I would like to get a business started by year's end, but Christ. I'm going crazy looking at all these forms I have to fill out, and I'm not sure these are all the ones I need.

I'm going to pull my hair out...

What city and country are you in? The Nolo Press has some helpful books and resources that should be of use to you. Look in the business section at the top of this page:

http://www.nolopress.com/

berkeman said:
What city and country are you in? The Nolo Press has some helpful books and resources that should be of use to you. Look in the business section at the top of this page:

http://www.nolopress.com/

That website looks like its going to be a big help. Thank you. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home later on today.

Oh, I'm in Miami, Fl.

In Canada, you don't need to fill out any forms for a small business.

JasonRox said:

Free healthcare and no forms. Is school free as well?

I think I'm going to move...

What kind of business are you starting?

You might check with the Small Business Administration
http://www.sba.gov/

Going from what I've read, It'd be best for me start this as an LLC. I'll basically be a reseller of industrial equipment, parts, engine parts, starters, etc. I've been in this a couple of years and I really can't take working for somebody else. I have contacts in high places that can offer me decent discounts for something that I'll be running on my own.

Thanks a lot for all the info, guys.

thakid87 said:
Free healthcare and no forms. Is school free as well?

I think I'm going to move...

it depends on what city you live in, but that's true:
http://www.bizpal.ca/index_e.shtml

BizPaL is an online service that simplifies the business permit, license and other compliance regulation process for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers.

Easy and convenient, BizPaL provides Canadian businesses with one-stop access to permit and license information for all levels of government.

The service’s primary goals are to slash document research time and help entrepreneurs start up faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:

Well, I don't know what sort of forms need filling out in the US, but if you want an incorporated company structure for your small business, there are the Corporate Registry forms to fill out and then Minute Book documents to create. If you're opening a shop, you need to sign leases, apply for a business permit, pass police checks. If you are running certain professional services, you have to complete forms for your professional licensing. It's not entirely form-free to start a business here.

GeorginaS said:
Well, I don't know what sort of forms need filling out in the US, but if you want an incorporated company structure for your small business, there are the Corporate Registry forms to fill out and then Minute Book documents to create. If you're opening a shop, you need to sign leases, apply for a business permit, pass police checks. If you are running certain professional services, you have to complete forms for your professional licensing. It's not entirely form-free to start a business here.

As I understand it, with BizPal (= Business Permits & Licensing) all someone needs to do is fill in the blanks. The best analogy I can think of is a program for doing income tax. There's no need for someone to mess around with paperwork & wonder if they've got all the federal, provincial or municipal forms they need. They just answer the questions about their business that come up on the screen. The whole country isn't part of it though; Nunavut, Quebec, PEI & N&L haven't signed up yet, and in the provinces that have signed up not every municipality has either. The list of all the participants (minus New Brunswick) is here:
http://www.bizpal.ca/part_partners.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
GeorginaS said:

From what I've gathered, all I will need are a reseller's certificate/license and my tax certificate. I don't plan on having any employees, yet. I can get "dealer" status with some big companies if I do things right. This stuff gets expensive!

GeorginaS said:

You don't need a business permit. The business permit only provides tax breaks, and allows you to do certain things like lease a building in some area and so on.

If all you want to do is gardening, then you can run it out of your own home and people can call you for your services.

JasonRox said:
You don't need a business permit. The business permit only provides tax breaks, and allows you to do certain things like lease a building in some area and so on.

If all you want to do is gardening, then you can run it out of your own home and people can call you for your services.

No, a business permit doesn't provide tax breaks. It's necessary if you open a shop or lease space open to the public as I wrote in my initial post. It means you are registered to do business in a public place within the city you live.

Plus, I forgot about registering for a business account with Revenue Canada for a business number for a GST account and payroll account.

Truly, it depends on what sort of business you're opening how many different forms and pieces of paper. I've had, at one point or other, to fill out all of them from start to finish, both for me and for other people. More than once.

I was just pointing out that saying there were "no forms" to fill out when opening a company in Canada is just plain wrong. I don't know what the hoops are in the States, but I'm more than aware of what the hoops look like here. As I said, I've done them. Lots.

FAQ: Wow So many steps to start a business

What are the first steps to starting a business?

The first steps to starting a business typically include conducting market research, developing a business plan, choosing a business structure, and obtaining necessary licenses and permits. It is also important to secure funding and establish a legal and financial framework for the business.

How can I determine if my business idea is viable?

To determine if your business idea is viable, you should conduct market research to assess the demand for your product or service, analyze the competition, and determine the potential profitability of your business. It is also important to consider the resources and skills you have to bring your idea to fruition.

What are the most common mistakes made when starting a business?

Some of the most common mistakes made when starting a business include inadequate market research, underestimating the costs and risks involved, not having a solid business plan, and not seeking expert advice or guidance. It is also important to have a clear understanding of your target market and to continuously assess and adapt your business strategy.

What is the best way to secure funding for a new business?

There are many ways to secure funding for a new business, including self-funding, obtaining a business loan, seeking investors, or utilizing crowdfunding platforms. It is important to thoroughly research and consider the various options available and to have a solid business plan and financial projections to present to potential investors or lenders.

What are the legal requirements for starting a business?

The legal requirements for starting a business vary depending on the location and type of business. Generally, you will need to obtain necessary licenses and permits, register your business with the government, and comply with tax and employment laws. It is important to consult with a lawyer or accountant to ensure you are meeting all legal requirements for your specific business.