Where do physics and game theory meet?

In summary, the person is looking for a middle ground between physics and game theory/economics. They are concerned about their ego, and want to get a lot of opinions on their thesis idea. They think that econophysics may be a starting point, and they can find more up-to-date references by looking online.
1v1Dota2RightMeow
This is going to sound really strange, but I don't want to have this question inside of me and never ask it. I love business/economics/game theory. However, the subject I've studied the most in my life at this point is physics. The question of what I want to write about for my PhD thesis is coming up and I have no ideas.

Has anyone ever heard about a middle ground between physics and game theory/economics? I know it's a huge stretch, but please be considerate. I'm feel completely lost in life but I'm a firm believer that one should not allow an ego to ruin decision making. Therefore, I want to get a lot of opinions, even if people think the questions I ask are strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh. Have you even tried googling for "applications of game theory in physics"?

There is a field called econophysics. Established mainstream economists seem to be critical about it, but it may be a starting point for exploration.

Stephen Tashi said:
There "continuous games" involving the physical modeling of situations like a missile trying to hit an evasive target. I don't know the customary nomenclature for this field of study. I notice articles like this: http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S0219198905000375
I think these are differential games. I looked into the book by Isaacs once, but I do not know how relevant that still it. The OP can easily find more up-to-date references, though.

Last edited:

1. What is the connection between physics and game theory?

The connection between physics and game theory lies in the application of mathematical models and principles to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems. Both fields use mathematical tools such as calculus, probability theory, and optimization to understand and make predictions about the behavior of systems.

2. How does game theory explain phenomena in physics?

Game theory can be used to model and analyze interactions between particles, molecules, and other physical systems. It provides a framework for understanding how these systems behave and make decisions based on the actions of other entities in the system.

3. Can game theory be used to solve problems in physics?

Yes, game theory can be applied to solve various problems in physics, such as predicting the behavior of complex systems, optimizing energy usage, and analyzing the interactions between different physical entities. It can also be used to design experiments and make predictions about the outcomes of those experiments.

4. What are some real-world applications of the intersection of physics and game theory?

The intersection of physics and game theory has been used in various real-world applications, such as designing energy-efficient buildings, optimizing traffic flow, and predicting the spread of diseases. It has also been applied in fields such as economics, biology, and computer science.

5. How does the concept of equilibrium in game theory relate to physics?

In game theory, equilibrium refers to a state where no player can improve their outcome by changing their strategy. Similarly, in physics, equilibrium refers to a state where all forces are balanced and there is no net change in the system. The concept of equilibrium in game theory can be applied to physical systems to predict and understand their behavior at a given point in time.