Muscle Activation Techniques ?

In summary, this program is a patented exercise program with a theoretical foundation that is based on the idea that communication between the muscular and nervous systems is impaired and leads to muscle weakness. There is not a lot of information on the nature of the technique or its efficacy, but it would be helpful if PF members could comment on the theoretical foundation on which MAT is based.
VantagePoint72
"Muscle Activation Techniques"?

I'm working on getting more physically active and fit, and I've received a recommendation for a (patented, naturally) exercise program (or perhaps "paradigm" is a better word) called "Muscle Activation Techniques" (main site). I know there's a lot of BS in the fitness world, and the abundance of acronyms and buzz words—and lack of scientific studies—appearing on that webpage have me a bit wary. I was hoping someone with a better knowledge of how the human body works could allay or confirm my skepticism.

There's not a lot there on the nature of the technique (which is probably another red flag), but the most detailed explanation seems to be in the FAQ http://www.muscleactivation.com/about/mat-faq/. Further details are http://www.muscleactivation.com/about/mat-theoretical-perspective/ and http://www.muscleactivation.com/mat-overview/.

As I've said, I can't find any studies on the efficacy of the technique. However, it would be helpful if PF members could comment on the theoretical foundation on which MAT is based; that is, the idea that: "every injury may have a negative impact on our neuromuscular function and that over time, the communication between the nervous system and the muscular system becomes negatively altered. If this altered communication is not regularly addressed, then the cumulative effect may be a progressive weakness of the muscular system as a whole, resulting in an increase susceptibility to pain, injury and/or degenerative issues."

Is this notion of 'muscle weakness (defined in MAT as decreased ability to contract efficiently) due to compromised communication between the muscular and nervous systems' sound? If so, then is there anything in the FAQ's overview of the program that gives it plausibility as a remedy? And, if that's the case, then is it something genuinely novel, or something that would tend to happen during any well-rounded exercise regimen?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "patented"? If it is patented, what is the US patent number? Reading any associated patent should get you better scientific references.

Sounds like BS to me, and not something to try early in the process of getting into better shape. Just ease into a well-rounded cross-training program (swim/bike/run/whatever) and work on your nutrition a bit. After a year or two of that, you could look around at innovative exercise routines to take you to the next level. Something like Cross-Fit, but you do need to be concerned with injuries with a program like Cross-Fit.

I work out 6-7 days a week, and manage to stay in pretty good shape. Even though you do lose some as you get older (I'm 55), as long as you are cross-training well as you age (for variety and to reduce repetitive motion injuries), that mitigates any nerve/muscle communication loss pretty well.

Last edited:
It's a bunch of cd's showing exercises, which are pushed by their fitness assessors.

Yes, the entire website is word salad.

I was expecting a TENS sort of product when I saw the title. There's some old Oriental freak on late-night infomercials who is trying to pass one of those off as a weight-loss miracle. They're designed for localized pain relief and are somewhat effective at it. (There's one kicking around the house here somewhere that my doctor cousin gave to my mother to help with her rheumatoid arthritis, but I haven't seen it in over 25 years. I tried it on the torn tendon in my knee and it did help a bit, but only while being applied.)
Hospitals and physiotherapy clinics do use a stronger version with paralyzed and perhaps even comatose patients to prevent muscle atrophy, but it's not something suitable for a gym sort of purpose.
Anyhow, that doesn't seem to be what they're trying to sell in your link. That is, indeed, garbage.

I cannot make a definitive statement on the efficacy of Muscle Activation Techniques (MAT) without access to peer-reviewed studies. However, based on the information provided on their website, I can offer some insights into the theoretical foundation of the program.

The idea that injuries can negatively impact neuromuscular function is supported by scientific evidence. When a muscle is injured, the body's natural response is to limit movement in that area to allow for healing. This can lead to decreased muscle activation and strength. Over time, if this altered communication between the nervous and muscular systems is not addressed, it can result in a progressive weakness of the muscular system as a whole.

MAT claims to address this issue by identifying and correcting areas of decreased muscle activation. This is done through a series of assessments and specific exercises designed to activate and strengthen the affected muscles. While the concept of targeting specific muscles for activation and strengthening is not new, MAT's approach may be unique in its focus on identifying and correcting areas of decreased muscle activation.

However, it is important to note that MAT is not a substitute for a well-rounded exercise regimen. Regular exercise, including strength training, is essential for maintaining overall muscular strength and function. MAT may be a useful addition to a comprehensive exercise program, but it should not be relied upon as the sole method for addressing muscle weakness.

In terms of the plausibility of MAT as a remedy, it is difficult to make a judgment without access to scientific studies. The website provides some anecdotal evidence and testimonials, but these should be taken with a grain of salt. It would be beneficial for MAT to conduct and publish peer-reviewed studies to support their claims.

In summary, the theoretical foundation of MAT is sound, as injuries can indeed lead to decreased muscle activation and strength. However, without access to scientific studies, it is difficult to determine the effectiveness of the program. As with any exercise program, it is important to approach MAT with a critical eye and to supplement it with a well-rounded exercise regimen.

What is Muscle Activation Techniques (MAT)?

Muscle Activation Techniques (MAT) is a form of manual therapy that focuses on identifying and correcting muscle imbalances and dysfunctions in the body. It involves a thorough assessment of the neuromuscular system and the use of specific techniques to improve muscle function and movement patterns.

How does MAT differ from other types of manual therapy?

MAT differs from other types of manual therapy in that it focuses specifically on the neuromuscular system and how it affects movement and muscle function. This approach allows for a more targeted and individualized treatment plan, as well as a better understanding of the root cause of muscle imbalances and dysfunctions.

Who can benefit from MAT?

MAT can benefit anyone, from athletes and fitness enthusiasts to individuals with chronic pain or injuries. It is especially beneficial for those who have tried other forms of therapy with limited success, as it addresses the underlying neuromuscular issues that may be contributing to their symptoms.

What can I expect during a MAT session?

During a MAT session, a certified practitioner will perform a comprehensive assessment to identify any muscle imbalances or weaknesses. They will then use specific techniques, such as isometric contractions and positional release, to activate and strengthen the targeted muscles. Sessions may also include corrective exercises and stretches to further improve muscle function.

Is MAT a long-term solution or just a temporary fix?

MAT is a long-term solution for improving muscle function and movement patterns. By addressing the root cause of muscle imbalances and dysfunctions, it can lead to lasting improvements in performance, pain relief, and overall function. However, maintenance sessions may be necessary to continue seeing the benefits of MAT over time.