Register to reply

Liquid nitrogen: homemade

Share this thread:
imsmooth
Dec25-13, 12:38 PM
P: 50
A while ago I had asked if anyone ever made liquid nitrogen from scratch without using a prepackaged cooling device (cryocooler). Well, I've done it. I'm working on a web tutorial and better video footage. For those who wish to make suggestions on what you would like to see I am submitting these links. I will try to accommodate requests since I am still working on it.

I can reach -320F in a little over an hour from ambient pressure. I still have to calculate my production rate.

Here is the tutorial which is still in development:
http://homemadeliquidnitrogen.com

Here is one of the videos after a 1:15 hour run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yg6_qVFEAw

I use a homemade PSA for my nitrogen source, which is limitless. The tutorial will give all the parts and sources for making the generator in your own garage.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Redbelly98
Dec27-13, 10:58 AM
Mentor
P: 12,069
Nice job!

From the video, it looks like the LN2 was still cooling the dewar inner wall at the end. Once the dewar has cooled down and the LN2 stops boiling, your production rate might go up.

Thanks for posting.
imsmooth
Jan8-14, 07:35 PM
P: 50
I have continued work on the website tutorial. I would like to solicit comments as this is a work in progress. If something is unclear so far, or you would like to see something added about the design please let me know. I will add video links soon.

So far I can cool down to -320F from 36F in 40 minutes. My last run produced about 300cc of LN2 in one hour.

Register to reply