Arguments for and against existence of God

• Thread starter runner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, while the PBS documentary "Into God - The Closer To Truth" looks interesting, there is no objective proof that God exists.
runner
I watched the trailer for the PBS documentary "Into God - The Closer To Truth," and it seems like something I want to see when it becomes available. It will be shown on the "Closer To Truth [Cosmos, Consciousness, God]" program.

The trailer for "Into God" is at: http://www.vimeo.com/6163114

You can also see the full episodes that have been shown on the "Closer to Truth" program on their website, http://www.closertotruth.com. They include:

Did our Universe have a Beginning?
Does God make sense?
How Vast is the Cosmos?
Why is Consciousness so Mysterious?

My question here is, what argument (objective or subjective) would you make for or against the existence of God?

Physics news on Phys.org
runner said:
I watched the trailer for the PBS documentary "Into God - The Closer To Truth," and it seems like something I want to see when it becomes available. It will be shown on the "Closer To Truth [Cosmos, Consciousness, God]" program.

The trailer for "Into God" is at: http://www.vimeo.com/6163114

You can also see the full episodes that have been shown on the "Closer to Truth" program on their website, http://www.closertotruth.com. They include:

Did our Universe have a Beginning?
Does God make sense?
How Vast is the Cosmos?
Why is Consciousness so Mysterious?

My question here is, what argument (objective or subjective) would you make for or against the existence of God?

Until you define "God," I don't see how anybody can make an argument for or against one.

Here is one of my favorite Carl Sagan quotes about the topic:

"Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws"

So, which do you mean?

Any takers for betting how many posts until this thread is locked?

GeorginaS said:

four

Last edited:
Jack21222 said:
Until you define "God," I don't see how anybody can make an argument for or against one.

Here is one of my favorite Carl Sagan quotes about the topic:

"Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws"

So, which do you mean?

Jack, good question. The concept of God is such a subjective thing with people that it probably conjures up many different ideas, ranging from the guy sitting on his golden throne doing his winter bird count to the existential interpretation used by Carl Sagan. So rather than placing a limit on things here, I will just leave that open to whatever anyone wishes to respond to. I think it will make for a more interesting thread. So, it might be helpful for anyone responding to mention if they are referring to the more traditional concept of God as a deity that is omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence or to another interpretation.

GeorginaS said:

Why should this thread be locked? Why should a rational discussion about objective and subjective views concerning a major phenomena in human thought be taboo? I'm glad PBS doesn't think so. And I do think views can be expressed without interjecting our emotions into it. By that I mean making disparaging remarks about what someone may express on a post. There is really no need for that, is there?

runner said:
Why should a rational discussion about objective and subjective views concerning a major phenomena in human thought be taboo?

It is not a taboo, we just know from experience that such discussions are usually short lived.

From the scientific point of view I have yet to see an argument for. All I have seen and heard of were against.

Here's an old thread I started with an idea I had a while back. It wasn't that well-received, I think because people assume that by me assigning the term god that I meant some type of 'creation'. It's not what I'm trying to say though. Hopefully someone, somewhere will understand me... hah:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314292

Borek said:
It is not a taboo, we just know from experience that such discussions are usually short lived.

From the scientific point of view I have yet to see an argument for. All I have seen and heard of were against.

Thanks for clearing that up Borek. A thought that I read, which makes sense to me, is that the concept of God is based on the collective ego of humans. I think what was meant by that is that people have a need to feel that they are more special and unique than the rest of the living things on the planet. In thinking that way, they can believe that their lives can continue beyond death, in something called a spirit, in a special place. The concept of God was created to make that possible.

OmCheeto said:
four
10 :biggrin:

humanino said:
10 :biggrin:

11!

(Two exclamation points only to reach the required 4-character minumum post.)

Runner, just by starting off with the notion of a single "god" limits the discussion to only a handle of god myths.

Thread closed.

1. What is the ontological argument for the existence of God?

The ontological argument is a philosophical argument that asserts the existence of God based on the concept of a perfect being. It argues that the very concept of a perfect being necessarily implies its existence, as a truly perfect being must possess all perfections, including existence. Therefore, God must exist in reality, as a truly perfect being cannot be lacking in any way.

2. What is the cosmological argument against the existence of God?

The cosmological argument is a philosophical argument that attempts to prove the existence of God based on the existence of the universe. It argues that everything that exists must have a cause, and that cause must itself have a cause, leading to an infinite regress. Therefore, there must be a first cause that is uncaused, and this first cause is God. However, this argument has been challenged by the possibility of an infinite universe or a naturalistic explanation for the origin of the universe.

3. What is the teleological argument for the existence of God?

The teleological argument, also known as the argument from design, is a philosophical argument that posits the existence of God based on the apparent design and order in the universe. It argues that the complexity and intricacy of the natural world cannot be explained by chance or natural processes, but instead points to an intelligent designer, which is God. However, this argument has been criticized for relying on the assumption that all complexity must have an intentional creator.

4. What is the problem of evil against the existence of God?

The problem of evil is a philosophical argument that questions the existence of God based on the existence of evil and suffering in the world. It argues that if God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-good, then he would not allow evil and suffering to exist. Therefore, the existence of evil and suffering is evidence against the existence of God. This argument has been addressed through the concept of free will and the idea that suffering can serve a greater purpose in the grand plan of God.

5. Can the existence of God be proven or disproven?

The existence of God is a topic that has been debated for centuries, and there is no definitive proof or disproof of God's existence. It ultimately comes down to an individual's personal beliefs and interpretations of various arguments and evidence. While some may find certain arguments convincing, others may not, and it is ultimately a matter of faith and personal conviction.