What are the effects of quantum energy on macroscopic objects?

In summary, the concept of energy levels in atomic theory explains that when an electron changes orbital levels, a photon is released or absorbed. This concept can also be applied on a macroscopic level, where taking a lift from a higher level to a lower level can release energy in the form of heat or kinetic energy, while going from a lower level to a higher level can require energy in the form of work. However, since macroscopic bodies are not charged particles, they do not emit electromagnetic waves when moving, but can still produce work through gravity. The large quantum numbers in a macroscopic system make the energy changes appear continuous, similar to how water appears continuous.
thiotimoline
Hi to all, I have a quantum question to post here.

In the discussion on atomic theory, we know that electrons in different orbital levels have different quantum energy, say n=1 and n=2 have different energy levels. When one electron 'jumps' to another energy level, say from n=2 to n=1, the demotion will release a photon with energy equal to the energy level difference.

On a macroscopic level, if I take a lift from level 2 to level 1, do I release a photon of similar energy as well? Consider that a macroscopic body is also argued to be made up of billions of microscopic bodies. Similarly, if I take a lift from level 1 to level 2, do I absorb a photon which will increase my energy level relative to a fixed point, say the Earth's surface?

Pleae advise. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From 2 to 1, the lift tries to recuperate your potential energy as much as possible. Much is lost in heat (friction losses) some is recuperated either in kinetic energy (in another lift or in a free wheel) or in electricity.

Since you are not a charged particles (you are not en electron) you cannot emit any electromagnetic wave just by moving. But since you are a massive body, gravity can produce work from your weight, and work is also needed to displace you.

The quantum numbers with a macroscopic system are so huge (~10^20) that the steps seem continuous, just as water seems continuous.

1. What is the concept of "Quantum on macroscopic scale"?

The concept of "Quantum on macroscopic scale" refers to the application of quantum mechanics principles to objects on a larger, macroscopic scale. This includes everyday objects that are typically governed by classical physics, such as cars, buildings, and even humans.

2. How does quantum mechanics apply to macroscopic objects?

Quantum mechanics applies to macroscopic objects through the principle of superposition, which states that objects can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that macroscopic objects can exhibit quantum behavior, such as being in two places at once or existing in a combination of different states.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum on macroscopic scale?

The potential applications of quantum on macroscopic scale are vast and include advancements in technology, medicine, and materials science. For example, quantum computers could solve complex problems much faster than classical computers, and quantum sensors could greatly improve medical imaging and precision measurements.

4. Are there any challenges in studying quantum on macroscopic scale?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying quantum on macroscopic scale. One major challenge is maintaining coherence, as macroscopic objects are more susceptible to environmental disturbances that can cause them to lose their quantum properties. Additionally, it is difficult to observe and measure quantum effects in macroscopic objects due to their size and complexity.

5. How does the study of quantum on macroscopic scale impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of quantum on macroscopic scale has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe by revealing that the laws of quantum mechanics apply not just to microscopic particles, but also to larger objects. This challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and has led to new theories and insights into the nature of reality.