Momentum/Impulse force vectors

In summary, Doc Al helped a student with a homework problem. The student was having trouble with the impulse-momentum theorem. Doc Al explained the steps to the student and was very helpful.
iluvphys
Hi friends,
I am preparing for my exam and i am stuck with this problem, please help me out.
It won't take too long, I hope.

Homework Statement

Two bodies A and B have masses mA and mB respectively and collide completely inelastic.
Given that the mass of body A is 1200 kg and body B is 800 kg determine the avergage force vectors acting on each body during the collision. The collision itself lasts for 0.2 s.

Homework Equations

Velocity of body A: (5i + 3j) m/s
Velocity of body B: (-i + 4j) m/s

Common velocity after collision I found to be: (2.6i + 3.4j) m/s (this eq was derived in a previous question with mA = 3/2 mB)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have tried using the momentum impulse theorem only to find out that the total momentum was conserved, which is good indeed. However I don't know how to find the answer I have kind of like used up my knowledge on impulse.
The answer is (-14400i + 2400j) N.
I have no clue how this answer was derived.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the force on a given body, use the impulse-momentum theorem:

[tex]\vec{F}\Delta t = \Delta (m\vec{v})[/tex]

What's the change in momentum of body A?

I have tried this equation but I just seem to get -4000i+16000j. But this seems to be wrong.
Any further advice? I mean I substituted the final momentum from the initial momentum of A and divided by time, which however is initial momentum of B.
Doesnt make sense. Please help

Do it step by step:
(1) Find the change in velocity of A. (Final velocity minus initial.)
(2) Then find the change in momentum.
(3) Then the force.

Hi Doc Al,
I am really sorry for the late response but I was so busy studying that i haven't been able to check the post.
THank you very much for your help, I finally got it (actually right now). I followed your steps and I am really thankful for your help.

Excellent. (And you are very welcome.)

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is impulse force?

Impulse force is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is measured in Newton-seconds (N·s).

How are momentum and impulse force related?

Momentum and impulse force are directly related. The change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse force applied to it multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. This relationship is represented by the equation Δp = FΔt.

How do momentum and impulse force affect collisions?

In a collision, the impulse force applied to an object is equal to the change in momentum of that object. This means that the greater the impulse force, the greater the change in momentum and the greater the effect on the motion of the object.

How can momentum and impulse force be conserved in a system?

In a closed system where there are no external forces acting, momentum and impulse force are conserved. This means that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the total impulse force before the collision is equal to the total impulse force after the collision.