Can a 10 Watt Globe be Powered by 24V?

• Thread starter dvn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watt
In summary: Yes, it should work. Just be sure to get the correct Hz for the globe.Thanks so much for this information. In summary, it is possible to power a globe with 24 volts using an inverter or transformer if you have that available.
dvn
Is it possible to light a globe - a normal energy efficient globe of 10 Watt usually powered by 240v or so.

Can the globe be powered if I use 24v and put a lot of amps to power it up? According to the PIE formula (Watt/Current*Volt)

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Hi dvn! :smile:

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but isn't the resistance of the golbe fixed, so that I = V/R, and W = V2/R? :confused:

No. Or rather, yes. Let me explain. The currect a device draws depends on its supply voltage and its impedance. You have little control over a device's impedance, that's set by design. So, if you have a different supply voltage, you need to convert that to the device's expected voltage. If you have 24 volts and need to step it up to 240, you either use a transformer if you have AC or use a device called an inverter if you have DC.

Thanks Negitron. That is the exactly the answer I needed.

One more question, the light globe have Hz. So what is Hz and what it does?

Hz is the abbreviation for Hertz; it is a unit of frequency--it tells you how many times per second the voltage alternates. For an incandescent lamp, it doesn't matter since it will work on either AC or DC (it's included anyway because it's a standard parameter on electrical labels) but for equipment with motors or transformers the frequency is important. In the US, the power frequency is 60 Hz; in Europe it is 50. Aircraft use 400 Hz, because at higher frequencies, transformers can be smaller for a given power-handling capability. Railroads use 25 Hz for historic reasons.

So if I use the DC motors to power up the globe then I need to adjust the correct Hz for the globe?
If that is so, how can I adjust the correct Hz?

You don't need to. Incandescent lamps don't care about Hz. As long as the voltage is correct, it will work.

I understand about the normal old globe will work perfectly but what about those new energy efficient globes. I would like to use those since they use a lot less power than the old globes. Old globes are usually 60W to 100W and the energy efficient globes only use aound 10W. So that is why I asked if it is possible to adjust the Hz or a way to control Hz.

Oh, are these compact fluorescents? No, those won't work on DC. If you only have DC available, you'd have to convert it to AC with an inverter. You can buy automotive inverters which take 12 VDC and supply 120 VAC (in the US; presumably 240 V units are available for Europe).

Ok, if I make my own circuit to get DC to AC from the motor then will the globe work?

Related to Can a 10 Watt Globe be Powered by 24V?

1. Can a 10 Watt Globe be Powered by 24V?

Yes, a 10 Watt globe can be powered by 24V, but it is not recommended. This is because the voltage is much higher than what is typically required for a 10 Watt globe, which can potentially damage the globe and decrease its lifespan.

2. What is the recommended voltage for a 10 Watt Globe?

The recommended voltage for a 10 Watt globe is typically around 12V. This is the standard voltage for most household lightbulbs and is the most efficient and safe voltage for a 10 Watt globe.

3. Can using a higher voltage to power a 10 Watt Globe increase its brightness?

No, using a higher voltage will not significantly increase the brightness of a 10 Watt globe. In fact, it can potentially damage the globe and decrease its lifespan. The brightness of a globe is determined by its wattage, not the voltage.

4. Is it dangerous to use a higher voltage to power a 10 Watt Globe?

Yes, using a higher voltage to power a 10 Watt globe can be dangerous. It can potentially cause the globe to overheat and increase the risk of fire or electrical shock. It is important to always use the recommended voltage for any electrical device.

5. What are the potential consequences of using a higher voltage to power a 10 Watt Globe?

The potential consequences of using a higher voltage to power a 10 Watt globe include:- Shortening the lifespan of the globe- Decreasing the brightness and quality of light- Increased risk of fire or electrical shock- Damaging the electronic components of the globe- Potentially voiding the warranty of the globe