How do atheletes sustain high power output, physiologically?

In summary: This allows them to have a higher power-to-weight ratio, which is crucial in cycling. Additionally, their training focuses heavily on cardiovascular endurance and efficiency, allowing them to sustain high power outputs for longer periods of time. It is a combination of both muscle tissue and the cardiovascular system that enables pro cyclists to generate and sustain high power output.As for the second related question, while running may burn more calories per mile, cycling requires a higher power output and thus burns more calories overall. This is due to the nature of the activity and the muscles used, as well as the efficiency of the body in adapting to the demands of cycling.In summary, the ability of pro athletes to sustain high
FinalAvenger
TL;DR Summary
How do pro athletes (the human body) sustain high power output?
I am ~180lbs and have been lifting weights for about 12 years straight. I have also been running 3-4 times per week for the last 8 ish years.

I have recently gotten into cycling, and noticed at the gym on the Schwinn "spin" bike, I will have peaks of around 400-500 watts, but it's definitely working my system pretty hard to maintain about 260-320 watts. There is another machine called the "SCHWINN 111446-001" Airdyne exercise bike which is a bike that has a fan as the "wheel". As I cycle and push my arms, the fan spins faster which puts more drag on it from the air, increasing the resistance at an extremely high rate. The bike is often used for high intensity interval training. On that bike, I've put out peak output of 900 watts before, but even doing 400-500 watts is something I cannot sustain for more than I would say 1-2 minutes. I can do ~800 watts for 15-30 seconds and I will be at near total exhaustion, and have to drop to about 50 watts of output for 2 minutes before I could do another round.

So my question is this - professional cyclists are said to be able to put out upwards of 400 watts for sustained periods of 20-40 minutes. I also saw a quote of up to 1,050 peak wattage at one point for a champion. What variables of the human physiology allow for this? I ask because many pro cyclists are rather lean, do not have much muscle so as to be very light. What allows their body to generate so much power for so long? Is it the muscle tissue itself? Is it the cardiovascular system? A combination of the two? I am somewhat naive in this area, but I would expect to see a higher watt output from, say a power lifter, given the much greater muscle mass.

Second related question is - It seems that some pro cyclists output more watts cycling than runners do running, but running purportedly burns more calories. Why is this?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think mostly genetics and extended high-intensity training.
FinalAvenger said:
Summary:: How do pro athletes (the human body) sustain high power output?

Second related question is - It seems that some pro cyclists output more watts cycling than runners do running, but running purportedly burns more calories. Why is this?
Runners maybe burn more calories per mile, but cyclists definitely are at a higher power output. Compare their speeds...

I have the good fortune of living next to an olympic cyclist (retired). He and his wife are animals on their road bikes He is about 5'6" tall and lean, and all taut muscle. He still rides long steep hard routes every day. Amazing (and a very nice guy BTW). :smile:

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
FinalAvenger said:

How are watts measured? Calories?

FinalAvenger said:

I am somewhat naive in this area, but I would expect to see a higher watt output from, say a power lifter, given the much greater muscle mass.
Power is force times velocity. It takes great force to lift weight...I know velocity is required for physiologic reasons but it may not be as important nor capable of being produced. The bicycle is also optimized to hit the sweet spot for any athlete's power output

FinalAvenger said:
What variables of the human physiology allow for this?
Absurdly long list
Just do not take pro cycling as any kind of reference.
What you wrote about your peak and sustainable power output is pretty decent.

FinalAvenger said:
I ask because many pro cyclists are rather lean, do not have much muscle so as to be very light.
Depends on their style. Just as long distance runners and sprinters has very different physique, cyclists also vary. But if you check their legs after a good workout - what they need will be there in excess...

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Rive said:
Absurdly long list
Just do not take pro cycling as any kind of reference.
What you wrote about your peak and sustainable power output is pretty decent.Depends on their style. Just as long distance runners and sprinters has very different physique, cyclists also vary. But if you check their legs after a good workout - what they need will be there in excess...
FinalAvenger said:

I am ~180lbs and have been lifting weights for about 12 years straight. I have also been running 3-4 times per week for the last 8 ish years.

I have recently gotten into cycling, and noticed at the gym on the Schwinn "spin" bike, I will have peaks of around 400-500 watts, but it's definitely working my system pretty hard to maintain about 260-320 watts. There is another machine called the "SCHWINN 111446-001" Airdyne exercise bike which is a bike that has a fan as the "wheel". As I cycle and push my arms, the fan spins faster which puts more drag on it from the air, increasing the resistance at an extremely high rate. The bike is often used for high intensity interval training. On that bike, I've put out peak output of 900 watts before, but even doing 400-500 watts is something I cannot sustain for more than I would say 1-2 minutes. I can do ~800 watts for 15-30 seconds and I will be at near total exhaustion, and have to drop to about 50 watts of output for 2 minutes before I could do another round.

So my question is this - professional cyclists are said to be able to put out upwards of 400 watts for sustained periods of 20-40 minutes. I also saw a quote of up to 1,050 peak wattage at one point for a champion. What variables of the human physiology allow for this? I ask because many pro cyclists are rather lean, do not have much muscle so as to be very light. What allows their body to generate so much power for so long? Is it the muscle tissue itself? Is it the cardiovascular system? A combination of the two? I am somewhat naive in this area, but I would expect to see a higher watt output from, say a power lifter, given the much greater muscle mass.

A neat table on slow twitch fast twitch fibre types below

https://blog.nasm.org/fitness/fast-twitch-vs-slow-twitch

Genetics or rather genetic potential determines whether you will be best suited a marathon runner or sprinter, power racer or tour cyclist

No amount of training diet or even anabolic steroids would allow me to have legs like this cyclist

1621595880407.png
Lets not forget technique too

Two guys similar build, fitness, same bike and one is naturally better than the other.

Michael Johnson springs to mind, he looked so awkward when he ran, head back, arched back, hardly any leg lift yet he was able to demolish his contemporaries in the field.

The track liked him.

1. What is the role of nutrition in sustaining high power output for athletes?

Nutrition plays a crucial role in sustaining high power output for athletes. Adequate intake of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats is necessary to provide the body with the necessary energy and nutrients to perform at a high level. Additionally, proper hydration is essential for maintaining optimal performance and preventing fatigue.

2. How does training affect an athlete's ability to sustain high power output?

Training is a key factor in an athlete's ability to sustain high power output. Regular and consistent training allows the body to adapt and become more efficient at utilizing energy and oxygen, resulting in improved endurance and power output. Proper training also helps to prevent injury and improve overall physical fitness, which can contribute to sustained high power output.

3. What is the role of genetics in an athlete's ability to sustain high power output?

Genetics can play a role in an athlete's ability to sustain high power output. Some individuals may be genetically predisposed to have a higher percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are responsible for explosive movements and power output. However, proper training and nutrition can still greatly impact an athlete's performance, regardless of their genetic makeup.

4. How does the body produce energy for sustained high power output?

The body produces energy for sustained high power output through a process called cellular respiration. During this process, glucose (from carbohydrates) is broken down and converted into ATP, which is the main source of energy for muscle contractions. The body also relies on stored energy sources, such as glycogen and fat, to sustain high power output during longer durations of exercise.

5. What are some common physiological factors that can limit an athlete's ability to sustain high power output?

Some common physiological factors that can limit an athlete's ability to sustain high power output include inadequate nutrition, dehydration, fatigue, and muscle fatigue. Other factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity can also impact an athlete's performance and ability to sustain high power output. Additionally, individual differences in genetics, training, and overall physical fitness can also play a role in an athlete's ability to sustain high power output.