Fitzpatrick Advanced Calculus-edition differences

• Thread starter oyolasigmaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    advanced
In summary, the conversation is about the differences between the paperback and hardcover editions of Fitzpatrick's Advanced Calculus, and whether there is any significant difference between them. The person is unsure which one to buy due to the professor using the hardcover edition, but the softcover one being cheaper. They provide links to both editions and ask if anyone knows if there is a difference between them. Another person responds saying that there should be no difference as they have never come across an international edition that is different from the regular edition.
oyolasigmaz
Fitzpatrick Advanced Calculus--edition differences

Hello everyone,

I will buy Fitzpatrick's Advanced Calculus 2nd edition, but am not sure paperback or hardcover. The reason I'm unsure is that even though we should be using the international student edition, the professor is using the hardcover one, and there are hardcover ones in the book store, and they are very expensive. The softcover one is quite cheap, but I want to ask, if anyone knows, if there is a difference in this edition (there seems to be a difference of 4 years in between the release of them). Here are the links to both:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0821847910/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0495018643/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for any answers. I would understand if I am being unnecessarily cautious.

Physics news on Phys.org

Should be no differance, I've never come across an "International Edition" that isn't exactly like the regular edition. You're safe.

1. What are the main differences between the regular and advanced editions of Fitzpatrick's Calculus?

The advanced edition of Fitzpatrick's Calculus typically covers more advanced topics, such as multivariable calculus and real analysis. It may also include more challenging exercises and problems for students to solve.

2. Is the content in the advanced edition significantly different from the regular edition?

Yes, the advanced edition typically covers more advanced topics and may go into more depth on certain topics. However, the core concepts and principles of calculus will still be covered in both editions.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in calculus to understand the advanced edition?

Yes, it is recommended that students have a solid understanding of calculus before attempting the advanced edition. It is designed for students who are already familiar with the basics of calculus.

4. Are there any additional resources or materials included in the advanced edition?

Some advanced editions may include additional resources, such as online supplements or access to online practice problems. However, this may vary depending on the publisher.

5. Can the advanced edition be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

The advanced edition can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it may be more beneficial for students to have access to a teacher or tutor who can provide guidance and support while studying from the advanced edition.