Does it make sense to study old (stringless) twistor theory nowadays?

In summary, there is a connection between twistor theory and the currently popular "Amplituhedron" as they both have roots in string theory. Twistor string theory, proposed by Witten, has given new life to the twistor research program and may simplify calculating scattering amplitudes. There is also a proposed connection between twistor theory and loop quantum gravity through the concept of loop quantum supergravity. While these connections may seem confusing, they are firmly established and not just a coincidence.
twistor
Does it make sense to study old (stringless) twistor theory nowadays?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the currently-popular and allegedly promising "Amplituhedron" based on twistor theory?

Likes 1 person
The fact is that I don´t know if the amplituhedron is based on twistor theory or on twistor-STRING theory. :confused:

I got this from Wikipedia, but, you know, the references aren´t enough.

Twistor string theory[edit]
Main article: Twistor string theory
For many years after Penrose's foundational 1967 paper, twistor theory progressed slowly, in part because of mathematical challenges. Twistor theory also seemed unrelated to ideas in mainstream physics. While twistor theory appeared to say something about quantum gravity, its potential contributions to understanding the other fundamental interactions and particle physics were less obvious.

Witten (2003) proposed a connection between string theory and twistor geometry, called twistor string theory. Witten (2004)[2] built on this insight to propose a way to do string theory in twistor space, whose dimensionality is necessarily the same as that of 3+1 Minkowski spacetime. Although Witten has said that "I think twistor string theory is something that only partly works," his work has given new life to the twistor research program. For example, twistor string theory may simplify calculating scattering amplitudes from Feynman diagrams by using a geometric structure called an amplituhedron.

Sounds like that they are fixing us a good salad, a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so that no one can understand...

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Sounds like that they are fixing us a good salad, a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so that no one can understand...

Actually, I don't think so. Though it's clear that recent developments have shown us that we have a lot of work to do, I don't thing it's a salad. It seems to me like different aproximations to an underlying thing... (I know it sound a bit like M-theory :tongue: ).

The Relations between LQG and SuSY and string theory in one hand, and between LQG and twistor theory, on the other hand, are, if you want, questionable. However, the relations between Twistors, String theory, the Amplituhedron, SuSy, and SuGra are firmly established, and aren't mere coincidences.

Last edited:

1. What is old (stringless) twistor theory?

Old (stringless) twistor theory is a mathematical theory developed in the 1960s by physicist Roger Penrose. It proposes a new way of understanding the fundamental structure of the universe by using mathematical objects called twistors, which are complex numbers that represent points in space and time.

2. Why was old (stringless) twistor theory not widely accepted?

Old (stringless) twistor theory was not widely accepted because it was not able to fully explain all of the observed phenomena in the universe. It also lacked experimental evidence to support its claims.

3. Is there any current research being done on old (stringless) twistor theory?

Yes, there is still ongoing research being done on old (stringless) twistor theory. Some scientists are trying to incorporate it into other existing theories, such as string theory, in order to improve its explanatory power.

4. What are the potential applications of old (stringless) twistor theory?

The potential applications of old (stringless) twistor theory include providing a deeper understanding of the structure of the universe, potentially leading to new technologies and advancements in physics. It could also help unify other theories and provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. Is it worth studying old (stringless) twistor theory nowadays?

While old (stringless) twistor theory may not be widely accepted, it is still a valid and intriguing area of study for those interested in theoretical physics and the fundamental nature of the universe. It may also have potential applications in the future, making it a worthwhile subject of research.