Pro-Science Moderates Regain Control of Kansas School Board

In summary, pro-science moderates have regained control of the Kansas School Board after years of controversy and backlash from conservative members. This shift in power is a result of the recent election, where voters chose candidates who prioritize scientific evidence and education over personal beliefs. This change is expected to bring a more balanced and fact-based approach to curriculum decisions, and marks a significant victory for the promotion of science and critical thinking in Kansas schools.
silkworm
The anti-science school board took some pretty nasty hits from last night's primaries. Pro-science incumbent Janet Waugh kept her seat, while Connie Morris and Iris Van Meter's replacement (son-in-law Brad Patzer) were both eliminated. 2 anti-science board members did make it to the November election, but I'm not sure they'll make it through the real election.

Long story short, Pro-Science has a 6-4 majority on the Kansas Board of Education, and could possibly have an 8-2 majority after November. This round of madness is over!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yay!

it looked like a hard fight there.

how's the chemistry major going?

silkworm said:
Long story short, Pro-Science has a 6-4 majority on the Kansas Board of Education, and could possibly have an 8-2 majority after November. This round of madness is over!

Four out of ten are total incompetent idiots! And in a powerful position of science education! That's not a success story, that's a travesty, and it's simply awful that our expectations have gotten low enough to think it was anything else. :grumpy:

Rach3 said:
...That's not a success story, that's a travesty, ...

maybe that's what political victory looks like

I'll buy it. 6-to-4 sure looks better than 4-to-6

but I think I understand where you are coming from

marcus said:
Yay!

it looked like a hard fight there.

how's the chemistry major going?

Ha. I wish this could mean I could focus on real science, but I have to bury this movement before it starts to smell and we find ourselves in this situation again.

I have seen these in other places. The ones I saw were alfalfa fields. They were circular because the irrigation set up had a pivot in the center and was a pipe that rotated around the field.

Oops! I fixed it, the elevator link got its own thread.

gosh i'll kind of miss those zealots on the kansas school board. i sent some of them some emails on the topic a while back and got some entertainment out of it.

perhaps you have seen the flying spaghetti monster link that argued the school board was discriminating against adherents of the FSM by not teaching their version of the creation too?

http://www.venganza.org/

they offer nice t shirts, but they will be passe now.

Last edited:
i particularly liked the graph showing the inverse relationship between global warming and number of active pirates in the world.

on second thought i was reminded by rereading the website that some decent people are offended even by obviously harmless humor. so maybe it is a poor idea to publicize it too much.

i dislike offending people for their ideas, well except maybe when they are trying to force their uninformed ideas into what is taught in science class and make it primitive religion class.

Pengwuino said:
I can't believe you searched for a place called "liberal, KS".

In the NYT article it mentioned "a teacher from Liberal". It looked like a typo, then I thought to myself, is there actually a city called "Liberal, Kansas"? So I searched for it in google maps. Turns out there is in fact a Liberal, Kansas, and it's presumably quite conservative at that. Then I noticed the crop circles surrounding it.

Be nice --- they'll cut off your helium.

Bystander said:
Be nice --- they'll cut off your helium.

And your beef, wheat, corn, and airplanes.

1. What does it mean for pro-science moderates to regain control of the Kansas School Board?

When pro-science moderates regain control of the Kansas School Board, it means that the majority of board members are now individuals who prioritize evidence-based science education in schools. This shift in control can lead to changes in curriculum and policies that promote scientific literacy and critical thinking skills in students.

2. How did pro-science moderates regain control of the Kansas School Board?

Pro-science moderates regained control of the Kansas School Board through the 2020 election, where several new board members were elected. These new members, along with existing pro-science members, now hold a majority on the board and can shape the direction of science education in the state.

3. What impact will this change in control have on science education in Kansas?

This change in control can have a significant impact on science education in Kansas. With pro-science moderates in charge, there may be a greater emphasis on teaching scientific concepts and theories based on empirical evidence. This can lead to a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of science among students.

4. How did the previous control of the Kansas School Board affect science education?

Under the previous control of the Kansas School Board, there were concerns that science education in the state was being influenced by personal beliefs and ideologies rather than by scientific evidence. This led to controversial decisions, such as the removal of evolution from the state science standards in 1999. This change in control may help reverse these decisions and promote a more scientifically accurate education.

5. What challenges may pro-science moderates face in their efforts to improve science education in Kansas?

Pro-science moderates may face challenges from those who hold different views and priorities on science education. There may also be pushback from certain communities or groups who are resistant to changes in curriculum or policies. Additionally, there may be financial and logistical barriers to implementing new programs and initiatives. However, with a majority on the board, pro-science moderates have the opportunity to address these challenges and push for positive changes in science education in Kansas.

Back