Calculation could somebody help me please?

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with calculations involving a reaction between sodium and water, as well as a neutralization reaction between sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid. The calculations involve finding the number of moles of reactants and products, as well as determining the molarity and volume of hydrogen gas produced. The final answer for the molarity of the sulfuric acid is 0.167 M.
Janka
Hello people...could u help me pls...coz i am rly stuck in these thing like calculations...i know all right answers but i am not too sure how to get them...please if somebody of us has a few minutes could u help me with that?
Thank you very much.

When 0.25 g of sodium metal was added to 200 cm3 ( an excess ) of water , the following reaction occured.

Na(s) + H20 (l) --> NaOH ( aq ) + 1/2 H2 (g )

(i) calculate the number of moles of sodium taking part in the reaction.

Na = 23 g mol-1
0.25g / 23 g mol-1 = 0.011 mole

(ii) calculate the molarity of the sodium hydroxide solution which was
formed.

(iii) calculate the volume of hydrogen gas produced at r.t.p. (298 K and
100 kPa ). Assume that hydrogen is insoluble in water under these
conditions.

In another experiment 25.0 cm3 of 0.183 M sodium hydroxide were neutralised by 13.7 cm3 of sulphuric acid according to the following equation.

2NaOH (aq) + H2SO4 (aq) --> Na2SO4 (aq) + 2H2O ( l )

Calculate the molarity of the sulphuric acid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Concentration = moles/volume

Molarity = Concentration

If you need further help ask away...

okay... i'll explain it to you...

(1) Ar Na: 23 therefore, 0.25 g Na contains (0.25/23) mol = 0.011 mol

(2) number of moles NaOH formed:

1 mol Na gives 1 mol NaOH
therefore, 0.011 mol Na will give 0.011 NaOH

200 cm3 (approx.) contains 0.011 mol NaOH
100 cm3 will contain (0.011*100/200) = 0.005 mol (approx.)

this is the molarity, 0.005 mol/dm3

(3) NUMBER OF MOLE OF h2 PRODUCED: (0.5*0.011) since 1 mol Na produces 0.5 mol H2 = 0.005 mol
at r.t.p. 1 mol of gas occupies 24 dm3
therefore 0.005 mol H2 will occupy (0.005*24) = 0.130 dm3 = 130 cm3

number of mol NaOH in 25 cm3 = (0.183*25/1000) since 1000 cm3 contains 0.183 mol NaOH = 0.005 mol

therefore, since 2 mol NaOH reacts with 1 mol H2SO4, the number of mol of H2SO4 which reacted is (0.005/2) = 0.002 mol

13.7 cm3 contains 0.002 mol H2SO4
1000cm3 will therefore contain (0.002*1000/13.7) = 0.167 mol H2SO4

0.167 M

What is calculation and why is it important?

Calculation is the process of finding a numerical answer or solution to a problem using mathematical operations. It is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions, analyze data, and solve complex problems.

How do I improve my calculation skills?

One way to improve your calculation skills is to practice regularly. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or workshops. Additionally, learning different problem-solving strategies can also help improve your calculation abilities.

What are some common mistakes in calculation?

Some common mistakes in calculation include incorrect use of mathematical operations, misreading or misinterpreting numbers, and making calculation errors due to lack of attention or care. It is important to double-check your work and use a calculator when needed.

What are some tips for making calculations faster?

Some tips for making calculations faster include memorizing basic multiplication and division facts, using shortcuts or mental math strategies, and practicing speed drills. Additionally, breaking down complex problems into smaller, simpler steps can also help save time in calculations.

How can I use calculation in real-life situations?

Calculation is used in various real-life situations, such as budgeting, cooking, shopping, and planning events. It is also used in fields such as engineering, finance, and science to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions. Learning how to apply calculation skills in real-life situations can help with decision making and problem-solving in everyday life.