What does this circuit diagram mean?

In summary: DominikIn summary, the attached picture shows four diagrams that confuse the author. To understand them, the author needs to understand how an inductor works and how a voltage divider works. Additionally, the author needs to understand how a capacitor works.
gothed
The attached picture shows four diagrams that I do not understand. To me electrical diagrams have to be circular and closed in nature, that's why these confuse me.

Once that question is answered I need to understand why II and III act as a high pass filter.

thanks

Attachments

• image-2.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 784
Engineering news on Phys.org
The attached picture does not seem to be working. Could you try attaching it again?

Edit...The diagram has to be renamed as a PNG file. Now it works.

These drawings are just part of a circuit and assume you have something like a signal generator on the left and an oscilloscope on the right.

To work out what would happen in each case you regard the two devices as a voltage divider and work out what would happen to the reactance of the capacitor and inductor as you change frequency.

For example, the formula for reactance of an inductor is
XL = 2 * Pi * F * L where F is frequency and L is the inductance in Henries.
Can you see that if the inductance stayed the same, the reactance would go up as frequency goes up?
So, what would happen if the inductor was in a voltage divider? Depends if it was at the top or the bottom, doesn't it?

Then do the same for the capacitor
XC = reciprocal of ( 2 * Pi * F * C)

Note that the actual voltage you would get is not exactly like you would get with resistors in series. In diagram 1, the inductor has a higher reactance as the frequency increases so the output decreases.
Look up LCR networks somewhere and get more detail if you like.

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
vk6kro said:
The attached picture does not seem to be working. Could you try attaching it again?

Edit...The diagram has to be renamed as a PNG file. Now it works.

These drawings are just part of a circuit and assume you have something like a signal generator on the left and an oscilloscope on the right.

To work out what would happen in each case you regard the two devices as a voltage divider and work out what would happen to the reactance of the capacitor and inductor as you change frequency.

For example, the formula for reactance of an inductor is
XL = 2 * Pi * F * L where F is frequency and L is the inductance in Henries.
Can you see that if the inductance stayed the same, the reactance would go up as frequency goes up?
So, what would happen if the inductor was in a voltage divider? Depends if it was at the top or the bottom, doesn't it?

Then do the same for the capacitor
XC = reciprocal of ( 2 * Pi * F * C)

Note that the actual voltage you would get is not exactly like you would get with resistors in series. In diagram 1, the inductor has a higher reactance as the frequency increases so the output decreases.
Look up LCR networks somewhere and get more detail if you like.

sorry for the image... and thanks to vk6kro for fixing my mistake.

I don't understand how the circuit gets completed... does it look something like the image i have attached now (second image.jpg)[this one works, check on my windows box]

I understand the inductance I just don't understand how to interpret the diagram.

thanks Dominik

Attachments

• second image.jpg
    second image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 532
Yes, that is all.

It is just a part of a circuit shown like this to show the principle.

thanks

What does this circuit diagram mean?

The circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It shows the components and connections in the circuit, allowing engineers and technicians to understand how the circuit works.

What are the basic components in a circuit diagram?

The basic components in a circuit diagram include a power source, such as a battery or AC outlet, wires to connect the components, and various electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes.

How do I read a circuit diagram?

To read a circuit diagram, start by identifying the power source and the direction of current flow. Then, follow the lines to see how the components are connected and how they interact with each other to create the desired output.

What do the symbols in a circuit diagram mean?

The symbols in a circuit diagram represent different electrical components. For example, a resistor is represented by a zigzag line, while a capacitor is represented by two parallel lines. It is important to familiarize yourself with these symbols to understand the circuit diagram.

How can I use a circuit diagram to troubleshoot a circuit?

A circuit diagram can be a useful tool for troubleshooting a circuit. By comparing the actual circuit to the diagram, you can identify any missing or faulty components and determine the cause of any issues. You can also use the diagram to trace the flow of current and voltage to pinpoint the source of a problem.