Solving Camera Lens Problem for Film Size of 24x36mm

In summary, the most common camera lens problem for a film size of 24x36mm is vignetting, which can be prevented by using a lens designed specifically for this size or adjusting camera settings. Other lens problems that can occur include chromatic aberration, distortion, and softness in the image. While it is possible to use lenses designed for other film sizes on a 24x36mm camera, it is recommended to use lenses specifically designed for this size for optimal results. Lens problems can also be corrected in post-processing using software such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, but it is best to try to prevent them during the initial capture of the photo.
gadawg90
The actual frame size of "35-mm" film is 24 mm x 36 mm. You want to take a photograph of your friend, who is 1.70 m tall. Your camera has a 60.0 mm focal length lens. How far from the camera should your friend stand in order to produce a 36.0 mm-tall image on the film?

i thought you would use the equation hi=-(f/do-f)ho

I did this and i got 22.4 cm. which is wrong. please help I am stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct.
Convert all lengths to meter and find do.

1. What is the most common camera lens problem for a film size of 24x36mm?

The most common camera lens problem for a film size of 24x36mm is vignetting, which is the darkening or shading of the corners of the image caused by the lens not being able to fully cover the entire film frame.

2. How can I prevent vignetting in my photos?

To prevent vignetting, you can use a lens that is specifically designed for a 24x36mm film size, or use a lens with a wider focal length. You can also adjust your camera settings or use post-processing techniques to correct the vignetting in your photos.

3. What other lens problems can occur with a film size of 24x36mm?

Other lens problems that can occur with a film size of 24x36mm include chromatic aberration, distortion, and softness or lack of sharpness in the image. These issues can be caused by the quality of the lens or incorrect camera settings.

4. Can I use lenses designed for other film sizes on a 24x36mm camera?

It is possible to use lenses designed for other film sizes on a 24x36mm camera, but it may result in vignetting or other lens problems. It is recommended to use lenses specifically designed for a 24x36mm film size for the best results.

5. How can I fix lens problems in post-processing?

Many lens problems, such as vignetting, chromatic aberration, and distortion, can be corrected in post-processing using software such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. However, it is always best to try to prevent these issues during the initial capture of the photo.