Academic Communities in High School

In summary, the new program at my sister's high school called Academic Communities is a way to segregation high school students into groups according to their interests. They will have their own teachers and eat lunch with their own group, but they may change groups after a year. There are some concerns about the quality of math and science teachers assigned to the arts group, and how this affects a student when they apply to college.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Next year at my little sister's high school a new program is being implemented called Academic Communities. This was funded by a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. From what I understand, the students will be divided into five groups specializing in a different area of study (engineering group, arts group, health science group, and I forget what the other two were).
Each group will have their own teachers and supposedly the curriculuum will be geared towards the group interest. For instance, the math classes for the arts group will involve references to dance, music, and art - I am clueless as to how this will work!)
Each group will be essentially segregated. They will only go to classes with their own group members and will eat lunch with their own group members. The rules state that a student may change groups after a year, but for the year they are locked in.
I am not feeling too keen on this program. It seems a little unfair to make a student choose a "major" in high school. I also wonder about the quality of the math and science teachers that will be assigned to the arts group (which my sister is considering. She's an excellent science student but her friends are going to choose arts group). Won't the best math teachers go to engineering group and the best science teachers go to science group?
Also, I wonder how this affects a student when they apply to college. It seems like they will be prematurely type cast and may have difficulty applying to a program outside of the high school academic group on their record.
I would like to hear some thoughts from others on this.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good grief. Isn't the high school caste system bad enough without institutionalizing it?

I think caste system is a very appropriate term for this. It really bothers me that during school hours, socialization with other students is confined to one's own group.

I am really trying not to let my opinion be tainted by my knowledge of the sponsors of this program (Bill and Mel) but there's just something disturbing about this whole classification system. High school should be a time to explore a wide variety of interests, not specialize.

I signed up for the football team in high school. Heaven knows what I was thinking. I was the 98 lb weakling poster boy. Other than that, I spent the rest of the time amongst my fellow geeks. I learned a lot more about people and life from football, not to mention the virtues of calling for a fair catch once in awhile.

FAQ: Academic Communities in High School

What are academic communities in high school?

Academic communities in high school are groups of students who share a common interest or passion for a particular subject or field of study. These communities often have dedicated classes, extracurricular activities, and resources to support students' learning and growth in their chosen academic area.

Why are academic communities important in high school?

Academic communities provide students with a sense of belonging and support in their academic pursuits. They also offer opportunities for students to connect with like-minded peers and mentors, which can enhance their learning experience and motivation to excel in their chosen field.

How can I join an academic community in high school?

To join an academic community in high school, you can reach out to your school's guidance counselor or academic advisor. They can provide information on the different communities available and help you enroll in relevant classes or activities. You can also connect with current members of the community to learn more and express your interest in joining.

What are the benefits of being part of an academic community in high school?

Being part of an academic community in high school can provide numerous benefits, such as access to specialized resources and opportunities, networking with peers and professionals in your field, and improved academic performance. It can also help you develop important skills, such as collaboration, leadership, and critical thinking.

Do academic communities in high school have any requirements or expectations?

Each academic community may have its own specific requirements or expectations, such as maintaining a certain GPA, participating in extracurricular activities, or completing a research project. It's important to carefully review and understand these expectations before joining a community to ensure you can meet them and fully benefit from the experience.