Applying to PhD programs after a few years out of academia

In summary: I'm not a skater. In summary, the author graduated from a smaller state university with 2 honors BAs in physics and applied math, 3.83 GPA, all A's in his 400 level classes, few years of computational research and some independent honors projects, and was involved with tutoring, TA'ing, led the SPS chapter, etc. They applied to grad schools in 2019 but the first batch got rejected and they pulled all their remaining apps when they realized Covid was going to be a huge problem. Since then, they've worked at a biotech startup, done everything from running PCR's to developing analytic software, and are currently in a leading role for projects in next generation sequencing. They feel like
jrh1380649
So I graduated in 2019 from a smaller state university with 2 honors BAs in physics and applied math. 3.83 GPA, all A's in my 400 level classes, few years of computational research and some independent honors projects, and I was involved with tutoring, TA'ing, led the SPS chapter, etc. Didn't do an REU and wasn't able to publish a paper from my research. Applied to grad schools in 2019 but the first batch got rejected and I pulled all my remaining apps when I realized Covid was going to be a huge problem. Since then I've worked at a biotech startup, I did everything from running PCR's to developing analytic software, and currently I'm in a leading role for projects in next generation sequencing and I'm the in-house automations engineer, all of which is to say I've done a ton of programming in the past couple years, and a lot of it is analysis and computation heavy. I've kept up with my physics by tutoring the local undergrads, and my old profs tend to refer students from their 300 and 400 level classes to me, which I interpret as trust that I won't screw up their students. I miss doing physics full time. I want to apply to another state school (middle of the road reputation, not UCSB but not no-where either) with a sweet research group doing GW theory and cosmology. I know all of those programs and positions get insane competition, and I want to know 2 things:

1. Am I screwed from the jump?
2. How do I spin my time outside of school on my applications and emphasize that I have kept my math and physics sharp? Writing an SoP was the worst part of the first application process and where I place the blame for my early rejections, and I feel like it's only going to be harder now.

Thanks

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
jrh1380649 said:

To paraphrase Henry Ford, Whether you think you're screwed or think you're not screwed, you're right.
jrh1380649 said:
2. How do I spin my time outside of school on my applications and emphasize that I have kept my math and physics sharp? Writing an SoP was the worst part of the first application process and where I place the blame for my early rejections, and I feel like it's only going to be harder now.
What you have done in the last few years sounds very impressive to me. It should to schools too. Just tell the truth.

Also, as an aside, consider than you may do a lot better career wise in biotech than theoretical physics. At least as far as pay and possibly impacting the world goes.

Well, yes, a better SOP can't hurt.

But are you applying to schools at the same level as the ones that all rejected you?

bob012345 said:
What you have done in the last few years sounds very impressive to me. It should to schools too. Just tell the truth.
I agree.
There is no "spin" that the admissions folks want here. Be positive and well informed. Consider what you can supply of value to their community of scholars (Academical Village to quote Mr Jefferson in this sad time) and what they can supply, in return, to you. Put in a little fluff (humor, praise, anecdote, or other) and send it.
If you know your references you could coordinate with them a bit. Good Luck.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
jrh1380649 said:
<<Emphasis added>> Interesting choice of words. I'm also a member of figure skating forums. For a moment, I thought I was in one of those. Are you a figure skater too?

I guess railing against use of "wanna" and "gonna" in written prose is just a sign of impending decrepitude.

I'm going to say it makes it kinda folksy. Waddaya think?

You forgot "amirite?"

Lol

• Haha
Likes hutchphd

What is the typical timeline for applying to PhD programs after a few years out of academia?

The timeline for applying to PhD programs after a few years out of academia can vary, but it is generally recommended to start the process at least one year in advance. This allows time to research programs, prepare application materials, and take any necessary standardized tests.

Do I need to have a Master's degree to apply for a PhD program after being out of academia for a few years?

While having a Master's degree can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to apply for a PhD program after being out of academia for a few years. Many programs will consider applicants with a Bachelor's degree and relevant work experience. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program.

How can I make my application stand out after being out of academia for a few years?

One way to make your application stand out is to highlight any relevant work experience or research projects you have completed during your time away from academia. Additionally, obtaining strong letters of recommendation from professionals in your field and showcasing your passion and dedication for the subject in your personal statement can also make your application stand out.

Will my time away from academia affect my chances of being accepted into a PhD program?

While your time away from academia may be a factor in the admissions decision, it is not necessarily a disadvantage. Admissions committees will consider your overall application, including your academic background, work experience, and potential for success in the program. It is important to address any gaps in your academic history and highlight any skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate.

Are there any resources available for individuals who have been out of academia for a few years and are interested in applying to PhD programs?

Yes, there are many resources available for individuals who have been out of academia and are interested in applying to PhD programs. These can include career counseling services, online forums and communities, and informational websites. Additionally, reaching out to current or former PhD students in your field of interest can provide valuable insights and advice.