A density of 1.5 g cm-3 is equivalent to:

In summary, density is a measure of how tightly packed the particles of a substance are and is typically measured by dividing the mass of the substance by its volume. A density of 1.5 g cm-3 is considered relatively high and can affect other properties of a substance such as buoyancy, solubility, and melting point. Density can also change depending on conditions such as temperature and pressure.
Cute-Bunny
A density of 1.5 g cm-3 is equivalent to:

a. 1500 g L-1

b. 150 g L-1

c. 1.5x10^-3 Kg L-1

d. 15 g L-1

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what do you think?

chemisttree said:
So, what do you think?

i would think is c but I am sure its wrong

If you can explain your choice, it will be obvious I'm sure.

1cm=10dm
1cm/3= 1000dm/3 (since 10^3=1000)
1dm=1L
1000dm/3=1000L

Therefore your task here is to multiply 1.5 by the equivalent of 1 cm/3 in Liters :)

Last edited:
Kennedy619 said:
1cm=10dm

No. 1dm=10cm

1cm/3= 1000dm/3 (since 10^3=1000)

You started with the wrong assumption, so this is wrong as well. Note that 1cm/3 and 1cm3 are two different things. I suppose you wanted to write cm^3.

1dm=1L

And miraculously this is correct.

Borek said:
No. 1dm=10cm

You started with the wrong assumption, so this is wrong as well. Note that 1cm/3 and 1cm3 are two different things. I suppose you wanted to write cm^3.

And miraculously this is correct.

Oh yeah, I did make a few mistakes. Fortunately, I remembered and put down the concept of what had to be done.

1. What does a density of 1.5 g cm-3 mean?

A density of 1.5 g cm-3 means that for every cubic centimeter of a substance, there is a mass of 1.5 grams. This is a measure of how tightly packed the particles of a substance are.

2. How is density measured?

Density is measured by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The units for density are typically grams per cubic centimeter (g cm-3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg m-3).

3. How does a density of 1.5 g cm-3 compare to other substances?

A density of 1.5 g cm-3 is considered a relatively high density. For comparison, the density of water is 1 g cm-3 and the density of air is approximately 0.0012 g cm-3.

4. How does density affect the properties of a substance?

Density is an important physical property of a substance that can affect its other properties such as buoyancy, solubility, and melting point. Substances with higher densities tend to be more dense and sink in water, while substances with lower densities will float.

5. Can density change?

Yes, density can change depending on the conditions of temperature and pressure. For example, as water freezes, it expands and becomes less dense, causing it to float on top of liquid water. Additionally, substances can be compressed or expanded, which can also change their density.