Do I have enough information to solve this density problem?

In summary, the water in a 1.50 liter bottle that is filled with water and frozen to -10 degrees Celsius occupies a volume of 1630.862 mL.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"If a soft-drink bottle whose volume is 1.50 L is completely filled with water and then frozen to -10 degrees Celsius, what volume does the ice occupy? Water has a density of 0.997 g/cm^3 at 25 degrees Celsius; ice has a density of 0.917 g/cm^3 at -10 degrees Celsius."

Homework Equations

D = m/V
D = m/1500 mL
m = x(0.997) + y(0.917)
x + y = 1500 mL
x = 1500 - y

The Attempt at a Solution

m = (1500 - y)(0.997) + y(0.917)
m = 1495.5 - y0.997 + y0.917
m = 1495.5 - y0.08

I feel like I would need the mass of the bottle's contents or its density in order to proceed. Am I plugging in my numbers wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question is rather lousy if you ask me. I guess they want you to assume bottle is either elastic enough to expand, or it simply breaks (and all water is converted to ice).

I agree; my chemistry professor doesn't seem to know what she's talking about.

But do I have enough information to solve for the volume of the ice?

Yes. Mass of water doesn't change.

But I don't know what the mass of the water is...

You have enough data to calculate it.

Eclair_de_XII said:
But I don't know what the mass of the water is...

Re-read the problem statement carefully:

"If a soft-drink bottle whose volume is 1.50 L is completely filled with water and then frozen to -10 degrees Celsius, what volume does the ice occupy? Water has a density of 0.997 g/cm^3 at 25 degrees Celsius; ice has a density of 0.917 g/cm^3 at 10 degrees Celsius."

Some problems will not spoon-feed you all the data you need for solution. You have to do a little work to find it.

It's not clear how the ice exists at a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius, unless this is a typo which occurred when copying the problem statement.

If that's the case, then wouldn't the ice take up the whole bottle since it can't be two different temperatures?

Eclair_de_XII said:
If that's the case, then wouldn't the ice take up the whole bottle since it can't be two different temperatures?
That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but now that you asked it ...

What happens to ice when the temperature is greater than 0 degrees Celsius?

(Hint: What is the freezing point of water?)

The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius, isn't it?

If it's greater, then it starts to melt?

Eclair_de_XII said:
The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius, isn't it?

If it's greater, then it starts to melt?
Yes. So the density of ice at 10 degrees Celsius seems to cover an impossible situation.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear how the ice exists at a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius, unless this is a typo which occurred when copying the problem statement.

I'm sorry for not pointing this out earlier, but this is correct.

Eclair_de_XII said:

Please reread my first post in the thread. Final volume of the ice is not 1.5L.

Okay, 1.50 L of water (at 25 degrees Celsius) is poured into water. It has a mass of m = 1500(0.997) = 1495.5 g. This mass does not change, even when the water is frozen. However, its volume of the water does change as it turns to ice? Given that the density of ice is 0.917 g/mL, I can calculate the volume from that and the mass.

m = 1495.5
1495.5 = V(0.917)
V = 1495.5/0.917
V = 1630.862 mL

And that would be my approach to solving the question.

Watch your significant figures.

Okay, thanks.

1. Can I solve a density problem with just the given mass and volume?

Yes, density is calculated by dividing the mass by the volume, so those are the only two pieces of information needed to solve a density problem.

2. What if I have the density and one other variable, but not the third?

You can still solve the problem using the density formula, rearranging it to solve for the missing variable. For example, if you have the density and mass, you can rearrange the formula to solve for volume (density = mass / volume).

3. Do I need to convert units before solving a density problem?

Yes, it is important to make sure all units are in the correct form before solving a density problem. For example, if the mass is given in grams and the volume in milliliters, you will need to convert one of those units to match the other before calculating density.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for mass and volume in a density problem?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent (i.e. both in the metric system or both in the imperial system). However, it is recommended to use units that are appropriate for the given substance. For example, using grams for mass and cubic centimeters for volume would be more suitable for a solid substance than using kilograms and liters.

5. Is it possible to have multiple solutions for a density problem?

No, density is a characteristic property of a substance and is unique for a given material. Therefore, there can only be one correct solution to a density problem for a specific substance.